GalantVR4.org The Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Forum
Galant VR-4 Forums » Galant VR-4 » Newbies » Re: New Owner of #1899/2000
Previous thread Next thread

Re: New Owner of #1899/2000

ApexHunter
Extreme Indoor Cyclist
1951/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1183350 posted 08/05/14 08:21 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
^Ditto, good choice with those wheels. The gauges look great fitted into that pocket. Maybe wrap some black felt or something around that panel? I dig machined finish stuff, and i'm just thinking out loud here. Anyway some nice things happening in here.

1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 #1951/2000 (SOLD)
2003 Honda S2000
2003 Evo

Posts: 1909 | From: Oceanside, CA | Member Since: 04/25/07 | IP: (2602:306:cd73:c1) | Report this post to a Moderator

minneSNOWta
Member +
1899/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1197822 posted 01/01/15 10:53 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Derek - Thanks. Still a lot to go on the car. It never ends.

Shane - Thanks for the tape tip.

Tom - Thanks. Could get more done if I had that sick lift you got. Need my own house first.

David - Thanks. Bro gets all the cred on picking them. The fact they happen to fit was meant to be. Brother power! Yes, I will probably find something laying around to wrap that, because I don't like the look of aluminum in our interior.

Tried to get the car towed to MAP, but they don't do "service" anymore. I'm sure jeverts knows all about that. Said they would be happy to degree my motor if I take it out and bring it in. Nope. Thinking of going to RS Motors(Ron) or DB Performance(Shane). Probably not going to make any tow trips through this winter. Will just gather parts for now and try to save a little bit. That doesn't make sense. I want to do all the "while I'm at it" stuff like fresh suspension bits and so on.

Took a while to decide, but went with JNZ delrin under-hood shifter bushings. Pressed right in with a C-clamp. I like these because they are self-lubricating.

Switched the catch can setup to a Saikou Michi S1-DC3 unit. Mr. Michi was nice and accommodated my request for another scratch logo. Went with the stock 3/8" nipples. Still using the same Boomba check valve too. For the routing of the lines, I followed "Improved Factory Setup" in Calan's article mentioned here. Don't worry, I ran out of new clamps from here on, but they will be going on.

Switched out the N/T auto FPR with a Tomei Type-S AFPR and Tomei pressure gauge. Hopefully I can figure out how to get rid of the air bubble. The fuel return is stock size, but -6AN going in. May have to mount this better.

Finished up the other side thanks to JNZ.

Picked up some 93? tails from Turboren's stash. Rocking these in his honor. Thanks for the sleeper tails!

Eterna Sava grille. Thanks Ahmad. Eterna collection complete.

Traded a set of spare 93 lights I got off of jordanvr4 to Alan in AK for this bad boy.

Abbey Road Company. Didn't know that's what ARC stood for until recently.

Came with this filter, but I will be replacing it with an ARC Version II Type A filter once they get off backorder.

Got these customized mats from Pistol Peter(turboflanagan). Thanks buddy. The mat guys made mistakes and Peter worked with me to resolve them. I chose to do the Galant logo in gold after gaining inspiration from seeing JDM rear 1/4 glass with gold Galant logos. Also, had the VR-4 logo done in gold since the badges are gold when new. No jocking . I'm super cereal.

Forgot to mention that I had bought a couple of these off of Steve and had them engraved at a local jewelry store. Just brought a pic of the dash badge and told them to replicate it perfectly. Looks good IMO.

Convinced turbowopdago to sell his AMG grille to me. Thanks Mark, love you long time. Eventually, I hope to find the diamond badge.

Rear Cusco strut bar. Thanks G. Would have bought all new from Bob, but I got the front and rear used for a good price.

G tempted me with these Project Mu lines, so I caved and bought them.

Posts: 343 | From: Duluth, MN | Member Since: 05/14/11 | IP: (75.134.150.193) | Report this post to a Moderator

GSTwithPSI
A hole
820/1000
1837/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1197826 posted 01/01/15 12:14 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Damn, the gold actually looks really good. I never would have guessed. Was the custom thread color more? Would you mind saying what the set cost you?

The car is looking great overall. Good work!

820/1000
1837/2000
1546/2000-SOLD
1813/2000-SOLD

(72.45.2.251) | Report this post to a Moderator

transparentdsm
I have to say something dumb Member
138/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1197827 posted 01/01/15 12:21 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
nice looking stuff. someone had a VR4 christmas.

138/2000 - BG - Dorothy

Posts: 3393 | From: Klamath Falls, Or | Member Since: 07/27/11 | IP: (24.180.38.35) | Report this post to a Moderator

minneSNOWta
Member +
1899/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1197834 posted 01/01/15 04:36 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Brett - Thanks. I took a huge risk on the gold. Peter could not find me a finished sample and the color in the sample chart doesn't do this gold justice. He would have been pissed if I didn't like it, but they turned out perfect. Was not extra for different thread color. Paid $165 shipped with the custom setup fee. I will cut anyone that tries to jock with my pecker. No dancing around that one. Anyone can borrow my idea, but I always try my best to acknowledge any cool ideas I may have borrowed from people. Ahmad had rear 1/4's for sale and seeing this is what inspired me.

I don't post meme's and shit because I'm not into that, but this perfectly describes how I felt when I got the mats in.

Shane - Thanks. I got the AMG from Mark the day after x-mas. He was feeling jolly this season.

PolskiVR4 has a viscous LSD for me and I just need to get new rear axles(non-OEM for warranty), new cups, and new hardware to do during the 5-lug swap. Need to get new knuckles(may just clean these up or get FWD ones), brake dust shields, control arms, inner and outer tie rods, links, bushings, and anything else that needs a refreshing at the time.

Still trying to sort out camber plates and springs for the Koni's. For springs, I'm thinking that I want 2.5" Swift coilover springs. 7" 8K front and 9" 6K rear, which should be under the limit before a revalving is necessary. Koni also sells a threaded coilover kit and I will need 2.25" to 2.5" nylon spring adapters. Won't be using their upper hat. Trying to work with Robert at RRE to get camber plates made that don't require strut tower drilling and they also come with upper hats that utilize Torrington bearings. Also need new front KYB GR2's to gut for the front Koni inserts.

Been thinking about getting some reman'd 3000GT SL calipers to increase the braking a little bit too. Goal is to paint them black to keep quiet. New brackets and hardware to keep it fresh too. Then the Mu pads and lines can go on. Also considering Project Mu G-Four 335 DOT4 brake fluid. Expensive, but it seems to be one of the best out there. Nice that it changes from green to clear went spent.

More to come over the winter.

Posts: 343 | From: Duluth, MN | Member Since: 05/14/11 | IP: (75.134.150.193) | Report this post to a Moderator

ApexHunter
Extreme Indoor Cyclist
1951/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1197838 posted 01/01/15 07:03 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Buncha nice parts. The Michi cans came out really nice.

The bubble in the FP gauge looks like every other one i've seen click

1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 #1951/2000 (SOLD)
2003 Honda S2000
2003 Evo

Posts: 1909 | From: Oceanside, CA | Member Since: 04/25/07 | IP: (2602:306:cd73:c1) | Report this post to a Moderator

Mn92gvr4
936/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1197899 posted 01/02/15 07:34 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Looking good man. cant wait to see that beast in action.

936/1000-almost going places
95 Honda civic notec DD

Posts: 105 | From: North branch mn | Member Since: 01/11/14 | IP: (96.2.116.219) | Report this post to a Moderator

minneSNOWta
Member +
1899/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1200523 posted 02/02/15 11:09 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
David - Thanks. I like the Michi's. Also read that you can move the air bubble to the back of the gauge, but I haven't been successful.

Andy - Thanks. We'll have to line the beasts up!

Got the ARC Version II A-Type filter in from Japan. Arigato! Won't be visible when installed, but no big deal. K&N is legit, but this is a heat-welded, dual-layer, dry foam compared to K&N's wet foam. Very nice quality actually. Goku-san approves of Super Induction.

Found this rare GReddy 2G intake pipe for sale as part of a package. Thanks Martin for inspiring me to get one. You were right. Hard to find and only comes with the turbo/intercooler kit for 2G GST. Comes with two smaller nipples welded on, but I will be capping off the charcoal canister one. Still going to use the valve cover vent line. Couplers are kind of beat up, but I got new ones coming.

All attached together. Still using a 2G MAF for air metering. Just need to figure out a mounting solution to the body. BOV recirc nipple is easy to access as well, so it won't be hard to fab up another silicone couple recirc hose. Waiting on a straight coupler section and I should have the right bends. The hose joiner will come in handy.

The other part of the package deal. Blown GReddy TD05H-18G. Got the turbo and intake pipe for a steal, so this worked out perfectly. Serial number plate is worn away, but this is a real deal unit. Plan is to have my friend, Matt G., work his magic and convert it to a 20G. He was the former turbo builder at MAP and does stuff in his spare time. Jason(jeverts) can probably vouch for his work. Need to modify the compressor outlet and have new hotside pipes made for the ETS intercooler setup too. Won't be able to get the piping done until I can get it to a shop.

I've read that these turbos are 7cm internally with 6cm inlets. My buddy should have a 7cm housing laying around to bolt on.

Next plan of attack is to collect more suspension bits, look into larger injectors, and continue working on the little things. Probably leaning towards 1000cc-ish, so I have a good amount of room to grow.

Edited by minneSNOWta (07/01/15 10:26 PM)

coyotes
Hipster VR4
1226/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1200524 posted 02/02/15 11:51 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
I had an Evo III ARC box in 981/2000:

It was mounted into a sheet of carbon fiber which was glued into place creating an effective heat shield.

1226/2000

Posts: 1544 | From: Seattle, WA | Member Since: 11/15/13 | IP: (207.118.27.51) | Report this post to a Moderator

vr4hotness
New Daddy
436/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1201944 posted 02/18/15 10:02 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Awesome build.

852/2000 (sold

436/1000 rust free

(Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy)- Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 181 | From: Chino Hills, California | Member Since: 12/02/10 | IP: (108.23.42.210) | Report this post to a Moderator

minneSNOWta
Member +
1899/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1202102 posted 02/19/15 06:48 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Thomas - Nice.

vr4hotness - Thanks.

Replaced the dry, cracked rubber bushings with blue poly ones. Could have done a better job shucking out the old bushings though. At least they look good and the radiator doesn't jiggle. Thanks to Wizardawd for conjuring up this idea.

SARD magnetic oil drain plug. Thanks G.

MAP Green-top CAS cover. Will be anodized blue.

Frontline Fab 2G dipstick handle. Will also be anodized blue along with a few other goodies. I had to buy a new 2G dipstick and knock out the roll pin to separate the handle from the dipstick. Already have a new 1G dipstick, but the handle is riveted onto the dipstick. FF supplied new Viton o-rings and a new roll-pin to reassemble the dipstick.

New Cusco strut bar stickers. The rear bar I got from G is an older version, so I plan on just making them look the same. Only other difference I really notice is that the older bar does not have the Cusco logo engraved on it.

Starion badge. Thanks G.

Mirage badge IIRC. Thanks G.

Kiggly advertised on tooners that he had a bunch of HLA's ready-to-go, so I jumped at the opportunity. Plus it's a good, functional investment. Should be a cakewalk to install.

The set screw has been "factory adjusted" to keep a constant 15psi on the lash adjusters. No gasket or sealant is needed between the regulator body and distribution plate either.

Waiting on more goodies and stuff to get back from the anodizer. I shipped the 18G out to my buddy to have a look at too.

G
obsessed with the turds of others
486/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1202103 posted 02/19/15 07:07 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
The M badge is mitsu. Debonair I think.

www.japanesenostalgiccar.com
www.nostalgic.co.jp

Posts: 8803 | From: zompton | Member Since: 02/24/04 | IP: (75.86.151.204) | Report this post to a Moderator

minneSNOWta
Member +
1899/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1202704 posted 02/25/15 10:59 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Have some news on the turbo. My friend, Matt G., says that the turbine housing is a 7cm, but has a small crack near the flapper. Bearing housing is not water fed, so we are looking for one to replace it. Will need new 06SL2 turbine wheel and possibly drilling/tapping new holes for the wastegate. The previous owner must have spun a rod bearing or something because he found material that ran through it. Plan is to bore it and convert to 20G when he has the time to use a local school's machine shop. Can't remember if he plans on throwing a billet wheel on it or not.

Got some parts back from the anodizer. They did a decent job, but forgot to send my fuel rail outlet fitting back. Should hopefully be getting that back soon. Must have been huffing a lot of fumes.

Had a tough time getting at the lower tamper-proof screw on the stock CAS cover with stuff in the way, but finally got it.

Got the new dipstick attached to the handle. New roll pin installed too.

minneSNOWta
Member +
1899/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1203146 posted 03/02/15 05:55 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Was "warm" today, so I decided to install the HLA since it only takes a few minutes. Torqued to 9ft.-lbs. I wanted to take the stock HLA apart to show internal comparison pics, but the screw holding it together is on very tight.

Forgot I had this '93 "pig-nose" grille. Won't rock it too often, but I will probably have it painted with some of the other grilles when the time comes.

minneSNOWta
Member +
1899/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1203480 posted 03/07/15 03:43 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Not too much action, but finally got new GReddy couplers in from Japan. They are both straight couplers, 100mm for the MAF and 80mm for the turbo inlet. The logo is smaller on the new ones, but they are high quality for sure. Will probably need to do some trimming to get the best fit, but I have the old couplers to mock off of.

minneSNOWta
Member +
1899/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1203714 posted 03/11/15 05:39 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Another mini update. Forgot to take pics of some of the items I acquired.

I bought this nice condition VR-4 fuel sending unit off of Evan Hale. Thanks again.

Had my friend Matt G. who works for Denso get me this Supra TT fuel pump with his employee discount. Thanks buddy. Also got the install kit and fuel pump rewire kit. Still hunting for injectors to finish off the fueling system.

Got one of the last few fill hoses from JNZ.

New parking cables from JNZ. PO said they were replaced, but the e-brake still doesn't work. Plan on getting all new calipers because I believe one of the rears is sticking.

Got a few more goodies in the garage I need to snap pics of. Once some of them are installed coming up here, it will be hard to get good pics of them.

minneSNOWta
Member +
1899/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1203795 posted 03/12/15 06:09 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Anodizer lost my fuel rail outlet adapter, so I had to order another one. Coated for free of course.

New Fluidampr pulley. Since I don't have balance shafts, I figured this would be a good investment. This is the revised version with the proper length ARP bolts.

New OEM power steering belt, Gates A/C belt, and Gates alternator belt.

New lower timing cover. I got all new OEM bolts to go with it too.

New hood insulator. My car didn't come with one. If I end up getting a JDM hood, I will probably sell this.

Earl's -6AN adapters and -6AN caps to block off the rear lines on the front rack.

Finally got around to sanding off the powder coating on the intake manifold letters. Looks a lot better and matches the valve cover now.

Hoping for more momentum to get this thing going.

CutlassJim
poop load of room
1799/2000
1788/2000
935/1000
912/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1203798 posted 03/12/15 07:00 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
This looks to be shaping up quite nice. I applaud you excessive use of new OEM parts.

ALL DSM's are advanced and ALL Evo's retarded
I love my crazy mother!!!

Posts: 1531 | From: Manchester, NH | Member Since: 07/17/06 | IP: (107.146.96.249) | Report this post to a Moderator

minneSNOWta
Member +
1899/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1203883 posted 03/13/15 06:22 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Thanks Jim. I want to do this the right way, even if it costs more.

Got this 4-bolt viscous LSD from PolskiVR4. He was a gentleman and cleaned it up for me. Thank you!

Not in bad shape at all. Could use some black paint though.

Here are the 5-lug hubs I will be using. JNZ coated the hubs for me and installed mostly everything for the rears. New wheel studs too. Still trying to find new front knuckles, but not sure if that will be possible.

New OEM seals, bearings, etc. The fronts still need to be pressed in.

JNZ ABS delete kit with stainless lines for the front, new OEM non-ABS prop valve, and new OEM non-abs reservoir/cap.

Eyelids from Nameka. These don't fit on USDM lights because of a nipple on the glass. I may decide to install these on my Curtis-spec lights. The '93 lights have a nipple on the glass too, but Curtis will be grinding them down for me. Not sure if I want to do these in black or white, but not important at the moment.

Had Archer Racing order me this HKS 35th anniversary edition Type-0 turbo timer since they are somehow still a HKS dealer. Was walking around the shop and found this 1G harness just sitting there. Saw some lingering HKS stuff sitting around the shop like cams, filters, filter cages, etc. Pretty cool for a shop in Duluth.

minneSNOWta
Member +
1899/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1203957 posted 03/14/15 02:59 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Installed this back in September 2013. Certified Muffler 3" stainless TBE. I'm kind of a tree-hugger, so I put a Magnaflow high-flow cat on there. Decided not to go with a resonator because I'm hoping the cat will quiet it down some. If it drones too much, I may have one put on later. True dual outlets too. Had the muffler and tips powder coated flat black to stay under the radar. David was awesome to work with and the install went pretty easily. I did mention earlier that I had a bung installed to get the wideband setup hooked up.

#1899/2000 - W09 A71 (1/111)

Build Thread

iceman69510
Turn Right Racing
855/2000
828/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1203961 posted 03/14/15 05:15 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
I might have a brand new knuckle for you. Will have to check which side. I believe it is 2wd though.

91 VR4 855 Nile Black
92 VR4 828 Belize Green-Daily driver status
91 VR4 115 Nile Black -SOLD

Posts: 10427 | From: Michigan | Member Since: 03/05/01 | IP: (76.204.115.93) | Report this post to a Moderator

minneSNOWta
Member +
1899/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1203977 posted 03/14/15 08:58 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Nice, the FWD knuckle? Let me know when you find out and get a part #, so I can see if the other side is still available. Thanks man.

#1899/2000 - W09 A71 (1/111)

Build Thread

iceman69510
Turn Right Racing
855/2000
828/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1204021 posted 03/15/15 11:33 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
I'll go look for it today.

91 VR4 855 Nile Black

Posts: 10427 | From: Michigan | Member Since: 03/05/01 | IP: (2602:304:ccc7:35) | Report this post to a Moderator

jeverts
Member +
909/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1204068 posted 03/16/15 10:19 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Where did you get your stuff anodized?

Edited by jeverts (03/16/15 11:48 AM)

Posts: 305 | From: Hartford, WI | Member Since: 07/14/11 | IP: (23.30.240.177) | Report this post to a Moderator

iceman69510
Turn Right Racing
855/2000
828/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1204072 posted 03/16/15 11:13 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post   
I do have a left side new FWD knuckle. It is a non-abs version, so it has no provision for the sensor mounting bracket.

Also have a brand new dust shield (1G design, not GVR4) that fits it. The shield says "15" on it, which means it is the 15" brake size, so should fit the larger rotor diameter.

91 VR4 855 Nile Black

Posts: 10427 | From: Michigan | Member Since: 03/05/01 | IP: (205.144.100.200) | Report this post to a Moderator

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Previous thread Next thread

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Galant VR4.org Moderator:  Hertz, curtis, steve, atc250r, jcgalntvr4-244, cheekychimp, jepherz, Rausch, toybreaker 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 29046

Rate this thread

News & Events: News | Events
Galant VR-4: Newbies | General VR4 Discussions | Technical Discussions | How To and Info Archive
Marketplace: Parts For Sale | Cars For Sale | Good Guys | Bad Guys
Community: Members' Showcase

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.29 seconds in which 0.119 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page