The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

factory coolant temp gauge

snohacking

My temp gauge is not working and the wiring it one big hack job. Been trying to search for hours but all I found was a headache. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

I need to know what wire goes to the factory coolant temp gauge, and is there a way to test it? Way to test the sensor? I hear it is yellow/green but there are two y/g wires. Any way to tell which one is which?

Last edited:

Struc

I should keep this in a text file for reposting, as many times as I've done it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Blue/Black, single wire sensor, A/C Condenser Fan, Normally open

Green/Red and Green/Black, 2 wire sensor, A/C Clutch lockout, Normally closed

Green/Black and Yellow/Green, 2 wire sensor, ECU Temperature sensor, variable ohm reading

Yellow/Green, single wire sensor, Cluster temp gauge, variable ohm reading.

So, yes, there are two yellow/green wires. Is your ECU reading the correct temp (check with datalogger). If so, then the correct one is the one that is left. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Otherwise, you could ohm check both of those wires to the correct pin at the ECU if you had a long jumper wire. The one that doesn't go to the ECU is the one for the dash gauge.

Since unhooking the wire means the gauge never goes up, grounding it probably would make the gauge go to full hot. Can't say for sure though - just guessing.

Last edited:

snohacking

I don't have a datalogger yet, its on the list of things to get. I have no idea how hot it is getting so I never let it run for more then a few mins. I have tried both yellow/ green wire and nothing happens. I might just get a autometer temp gauge or try a different sensor first.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned