The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

16g turbo and super 20g

dsm10o0

Is it a td05 or a td06 20g? If its a td05, itll fit.

Tre3zy

it also depends on wat kind of 16g you have.... it will fit ONLY in B16g and E316g... NOT in S16g

turbofonz

^^ Why do you say that? They'll all fit as long as it's a td05h hotside.

Tre3zy

click

i was talking about this one.... i think they were saying that if you use a S16G hotside that the new 20gwheel will hit the back plate and will need to be machined...

donniekak

That isn't what a hotside is. The hotside is the turbine housing. As long as a turbo has a tdo5h turbine, you can run it with any td05h turbine housing. A 14b, small 16g, big 16g, evo 3 16g, 18g, 20g, can all use the same turbine housing, as long as they run the td05h turbine.

fuel

my understanding is you can only use a 20G compressor wheel on the 'super back' turbo cores/cartridges, ie small and big 16G. The 14B and earlier TD05H's don't have the extra space machined from the core.

fuel

also I've ordered the 20G wheel, machined Evo III compressor housing and genuine MHI rebuild kit from kando-dynamic aka kinugawa turbo and found their service very quick, however the Evo III compressor housing is obviously a copy, but the quality looks to be just as good as the original compressor housing. I am unsure of the origin of the compressor wheel, but I assume it isn't genuine MHI.

As my original VR-4 turbo is a 'big 16G' using the 'super back' style wheel, the 20G wheel simply swapped in place. You will not be able to fit a 20G (or even a big 16G wheel) on a 14B turbo core/cartridge, UNLESS you machine out the core to suit the larger diameter/shape of the underside of the big 16G/20G wheels. I am not sure about the small 16G which is why I haven't mentioned it yet - to be honest I don't think I've ever seen a small 16G turbo, all the Evolution VR-4s, Lancer Evo1/2/3 I have come across have big 16G turbos. I think perhaps the small 16G is an American thing rather than on JDM vehicles. I would have assumed being a 16G they too would be a 'super back' wheel, but those links above are suggesting otherwise.

donniekak

Again people, this is a hotside. And a td05h hotside clamps onto any td05h turbo.
evo3.jpg

For the people converting turbo's. The big 16g, evo3 16g, 18g, and 20g, all have 68mm exducers. So any bearing housing/backplate, for those turbo's can be used for any other of the group, with just a compressor housing change.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned