The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Best way to remove door skins?

recommendations for the best way to remove the door panels without ripping them?
thanks in advance

Terry Posten

Your talking about the inner panels right?

Remove all screws. There are screws holding the door handle cover on, 2 holding the door pull on, 1 behind the ash tray (rear doors), a few around the sides and bottom.

Then slide the whole skin up. It has catches along the top where it trims down into the window well. DON'T pull the bottom outward. You will rip the press-board where the lower slide clips are.

Once you have it slide up about 1", then just pull away from door and unplug the lights and route the window switch harness through the hole.

maroonmetallic

When I hear door skin the body repairman in me thinks outer door.. but you may be onto something Terry.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Shawn

I was referring to the "vr4" door panels on the outside with the ribbing.

That is what I need to take off, but they look like they break easily

Terry Posten

They are VERY flexible. You wont hurt them.

Just grab them on the edge and pull out. Don't pull at a sharp angle, just pull out.

There is thin 3M tape across the top and down the sides. None on the bottom. There are clips, 10 on rear and 14 on front panels, that will pop off. Some will break. Don't worry, they are cheap.

The 3M tape is old and will seperate easily.

Terry Posten

When you put them back on, DO NOT put tape across the bottom. It traps water and promotes rust.

dsmer06

Untitled-1.jpg

That shows you were the tape and clips are. Mine were on there really well, so I ended up putting a bent spackling knief between the plastic and door to cut the tape while I pulled.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned