The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Throttle body oring

GVR4_1057

You mean the seals for the shaft? They are available at JNZ,Mach V , etc.

GVR4_1057

VFAQ has a nice tutorial. Is it under intake.

i orderd a complete TB rebuild kit from STM i think total it was 40 or so, new shaft seals, new biss screw , o ring, biss screw cap and tb gaskets..

the whole process isnt bad, just mark where your spring was with a sharpie be
for taking it apart, also the butterfly that thing is a pain in the ass to get lined up just right so it stays open make sure you mark what side is what and put an arrow facing up so you don't put it in upside down..
Jesse

Last edited by a moderator:

1941Galant

The VFAQ write-up on throttle body rebuilding is pretty good. I have rebuilt about 4-5 of them by initially following that write-up. My suggestion is to buy, or borrow an impact driver. It will make life much easier when trying to separate the FIAV and getting the screws out of the throttle plate.

Hill

toybreaker

iconoclast
Be sure to stake the throttle plate screws.

GVR4_1057

Smash the threaded end on the end so it makes the tip bigger and makes it impossible for the bolt to come out. You could also call it mushrooming the end. Ya know mushroom tip /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ah yes of course, the "mushroom stamp".

What about just using loctite? Trust that or no?

GVR4_1057

If it was properly prepped (read cleaned) loctite would do just fine. But there is no better insurance than a good steel interference fit.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Just make sure when "staking" the screws in place, that you don't warped the throttle shaft. I'm sure it's a long shot, but if you have to wack those screw tips, it must be a possibility, right?

Does the dealer by any chance sell just the tb shaft? The threads on mine are pretty fubared.

GVR4_1057

Quoting FlyingEagle:
Just make sure when "staking" the screws in place, that you don't warped the throttle shaft. I'm sure it's a long shot, but if you have to wack those screw tips, it must be a possibility, right?

+1 Always support the TB shaft when staking the screws or you will bend the shaft.

Quoting Mike_1101:
Does the dealer by any chance sell just the tb shaft? The threads on mine are pretty fubared.

They don't offer the shaft separately. You could find a used TB for cheap, or get a slightly bigger tap and rethread the holes a little bigger. Will need new screws of course.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned