Well, finally decided to man up and install the new trans and turbo setup. These parts have been sitting in the garage for almost a year now, so I figured it was about time they get put to use.
I started off by pulling the old trans, and installing a new to me Shep "stage 2" box. Specs according to the build sheet I have are:
• Shep stage II transmission:
--- New input shaft
--- New 3-4 hub/sleeve
--- New 3-4 fork
--- New DSM 3-4 gears
--- Double 2-3 synchros
--- Welded center diff
So, I got to work pulling the old trans. The my clutch has been good, so I didn't have any reason to touch it. I did install a new ACT release bearing, as well as a Competition Clutch forged steel release fork & pivot ball, though.
A little tidbit... The @Turbo Performance manifold blankets are awesome. Mine is going on a few years old now, and it's still holding up pretty good! I did lose a grommet, but after eleventy million heat cycles and pulling this on and off the car nearly a dozen times, this thing has held up really damn good. You can see in the last few pictures in this post how it looks like new with a fresh coat of VHT Flameproof.
Well, onto the turbo stuff... A Forced Performance 3052 ball bearing turbo has replaced the 68HTA V2. I decided to pair this up with a Forced Performance 3" cast recirculated V-band O2 housing and Tial 44mm wastegate.
Here's the FP3052 compared to the 68HTA V2:
Once I got the turbo all bolted up, it was time to reconfigure the exhaust and hot side intercooler piping.
At this stage in my life, I'm tired of fucking with 2 bolt flanges and gaskets. Since the car is apart and I'm having to reconfigure everything, I wanted to take the opportunity to go to V-band flanges where possible. So, I converted the downpipe and hot side intercooler piping.
Once everything was welded up, it was time to install and check for fitment.
While the car was down, I also did some work to the front brakes. I gave the calipers a fresh coat of paint, and cleaned up the front hubs. I also installed new StopTech Sport drilled & slotted brake rotors and Hawk HP Plus pads.
After all that, I primed the new turbo, and took it out for a drive. The car runs awesome, and the top end has drastically improved. As with any new setup, I'm still working out some small bugs, but hopefully in the coming weeks I have some hard performance data to share. Hopefully, trips to the dyno and track are in the near future.
As always, thanks for following the build!