The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Big intercooler?

My front mount is horribly mounted, (pipes hit the headlights and bov is right in the way) I want to start over, and of course run a larger one. What's the largest reasonable (without much modification) I can run?
I'll probably just get a kit from ebay and have the pipes welded up. How should I have the outlets? I was thinking bottom, facing the motor. Was also thinking about placing the bov up front behind the fog light.
Bar and plate or delta fin? I don't know the difference.

Let me know your thoughts and what has worked for you!

Lucas03ES

If you're looking for a great fitting large sized intercooler I would go with the ETS core. Albeit a bit expensive at $550, it fits perfectly and the orientation of the end tank is optimal. I just installed a 3.5" on my car and I can't even get it to budge by shaking it. It would also be a good start for some custom piping.

curtis

^ Like he said but also take into account the turbo your running /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

A 14b on a huge intercooler can slow things down.
3 inch IC pipes can hurt you as well unless you have something in the 65lbs a minute range then you may want to look at 3 inch pipes and giant sized cores.
3 inch in a short route configuration fits but requires some measurements and fab work and the fitment of a different radiator unless you want to start crushing pipes to fit between the factory radiator.

And I'll say it again don't use reducer couplings in either directions, it creates turbulent flow. I went from a 3 inch pipe to a 3 to 2.5 reducer into a custom tb elbow I made. I then cut the custom elbow which was like 12 inches long and cut a long triangle and then cut a long slit in the pipe and expanded it out to 3 inches. This crated a long cone shape I then drove the car and the boost gauge told the tale. After 2 or 3 different pulls I had lost 2.5 to 3psi on the gauge. Car felt as strong but the restriction on the old set up was evident. My solution was then to turn it up 5 psi. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif You can also do this if your building your pipes from scratch. from the turbo if its a 14b/16g etc probably 1.5 to 2 inch going to 2.5 inches. Get a piece of 2.5 and cut it long ways. then cut a small right triangle shape off each side of the cut. Now the fun part get some worm clamps or t bolts and start crushing one end until it touches. then weld the lenght. You now have a cone that goes from 2.5 to whatever. It works I would post the fluid dynamics stuff but we all know how Mr Barnes gets. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now go get a copy of Mr Corky Bells book Maximum boost and read, guy has some good info in there.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned