The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What car do I have?

Alright guys no pokin fun here, ha... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I have a 1991 Galant vr-4 but...

There is no badge, not even a badge silhouette where it would have been...

The fender has a running light on it which makes me think it might be JDM...

But it has the smaller 14b turbo? (or were they all small turbos in 1991 regardless of origin?)

Could it be 1 of the elusive 9? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

VIN: JA3CX56UXMZ008719

Oh and I did the paint, it was purple and silver before...and I deleted the rain gutters on the roof, so that is not how it came either

omertaitalia

when you deleted the rails did you weld metal over the indent?, i did that once before on a honda and it came out nice.
edit*run a carfax to see its history, wouldn't surprise me if it was one of the nine

Last edited:

Those turn signal lights are not OEM for these generations of Galants, but the position match the position where the EDM galants had their turn signals, so it might be a EDM fender, but those lights are not OEM for these generations of galants.

All US GVR-4 had the 14b turbo.

I will i am not gonna be able to for a couple days... but I all I can say is "bondo" ha, it very well might backfire on me but hasnt yet...Im guessing they work as a flex point for hard turns and could crack the paint...

no problems thus far but the only reason I did it was cuz I couldnt find replacements, but I think it turned out way cooler!

nope straight bondo, I thought about filling it in with this lead compound that you can just bead in there but got lazy... found some that might show it better tho...

as you can see I also filled the crome strip that wraps around the bumpers and sides

Quoting Mr_Wolfy:
Those turn signal lights are not OEM for these generations of Galants, but the position match the position where the EDM galants had their turn signals, so it might be a EDM fender, but those lights are not OEM for these generations of galants.

Where the hell did those wires to turn them on come from? They aren't additions, they fit right into the harness!

Also taillights do not have VR4 printed on em, its so weird... the car hauls balls tho so thats all I care about LOL

omertaitalia

if you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for her?, ya bondo works just thinking long term it'll crack, i welded the hondas rails and it took forever, i didn't want to warp the metal so jumped around everywhere, traded the car for a acura though and this was 2006 so no telling if it cracked later down the road.

1000...motor was out, he took it apart to do upgrades before a tour in Iraq, came back and lost interest...Im @ about 5000 now after restoring/painting/rebuilding/turbo just blew up haha

SouthCaliVR4

Quoting Lennydrvs:
Quoting Mr_Wolfy:

Where the hell did those wires to turn them on come from? They aren't additions, they fit right into the harness!

Also taillights do not have VR4 printed on em, its so weird... the car hauls balls tho so thats all I care about LOL

91's don't have an emblem in the tail light. I have traded out my front lights, bumper & grill. More than likely a previous owner did the same on yours. The 14b is the stock turbo. the fender lights are also likely added.

Is there somewhere I can plug in my vin to see exactly which/where this Frankenstein came? I know carfax but vr4 specific index

gramkrakr89

If I'm not mistaken, limited edition badge number is not directly tied to the VIN#. So, unfortunately, there's little hope of finding out what number it was unless a previous owner happened to know.

well that sucks...thanks for the info guys!

I am just going to claim it to be 2001/2000 ha

SouthCaliVR4

Quoting Lennydrvs:
Is there somewhere I can plug in my vin to see exactly which/where this Frankenstein came? I know carfax but vr4 specific index

There is a slim chance your car made it into the vr4 registry Iceman Has been building. If so & it was badged at the time is the only source of such info I'm aware exists. If it was badged & removed by a prev. owner I doubt you'd be able to tell.

Dasith

those could be Aus Spec Fenders, those fender turn signals came stock on 6th Gen VR-4s in Aus

fuel

ZOMG it has fender lights it must be JDM! ...yes, your big-bumpered-LHD-small-intercooled VR-4 is JDM because it has fender lights... which weren't even on the JDM models.

I would say it would be one of the 2000 just the badge has gone AWOL at some stage.

Ian M

Quote:
Im @ about 5000 now after restoring/painting/rebuilding/turbo

I take it the pics of it sitting in the driveway are the before pics? That thing looked like a heap. I guess you couldn't have hurt it,anything was an improvement,but the filler in those channels IS going to crack unfortunatly.

Im sure if someone painted painted it purple,they also had the inclination to drill a couple holes and splice wires in far enough out of the way it isn't obvious at a casual glance. There isn't any sillohette in the dash where the badges are,they are just stuck on,and LOTS of people pop them off when the sell the car or put it on EBAY where they've gone for $100 before. The VR4 badge is on the trunk lid on '91s,the '92s had them in the taillight.

Last edited:

DR1665

A quick search of the entire board for your VIN returns only this thread, so this is the first time that VIN has been posted here. Whether or not iceman has the VIN or not, I can't say, but there's a chance you have one of the non-badged cars. Keep up the good work on it. We need more clean GVR4s 'round these parts.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Classifieds Listings