The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

VR4 Specific Master Cylinder Brace/Stopper??

dustyduff

A buddy of mine (throughfaith323) has a master cylinder brace/stopper on his car that he took off of illeffectVR4's car when he parted it out. I haven't had any luck finding out where it may have come from. The previous owner can't seem to recall where he got it from and it may have been through a group buy here on the boards a few years ago. Anyone know of a company or vendor that sells one for the VR4?

Example: click

The one that my friend has fit's perfectly like it was specifically designed for our cars. There are several different styles/designs out there, which I don't care about, other than gaining increased pedal feel during heavy braking.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

SleepinGVR4

When you push on your brakes your firewall and brake booster flex. Those braces help eliminate that. I'm sure your money is better spent else where.

dustyduff

Exactly right Sean. I have a lot of money invested in the car already, and don't see the price as being too high compared to other things I've done that don't add HP (i.e. powdercoating). I just spent $350 this past week in powdercoating and getting ready to drop off more parts this weekend. This reminds me I need to throw up some pictures soon (and create a profile).

Sean: I see your point, however I have everything I could want/need for the car besides EVO 9 interior, coilovers, and JDM bumpers. Still want to pick one up though.

I'll try to snag some pics from Ed's car to show.

Anyone from the OG crowd ever seen one for the VR-4?

Last edited:

CarRacer

Talk to CP. He had one on his car for when he tracked his car.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Somebody here sold just a few of them, but can't remember who.

Maybe take it off and send it to Curtis to fab some more? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

curtis

I just clicked on the link above. Thats real easy for me to build. I would need to go to the nut and bolt store to get the hardware because its cheaper than lowes or home depot racing then I would need to raid every mens bathroom on the east cost for door hinges. Look close there using aluminum bathroom stall hinges for braces. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

If it works it works still funny someone would be sourcing out door hinges for brake master braces. Since steve as left Jersey this maybe hard to do but I bet they could be found in the indy area. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dustyduff

I'll wait to see if CP has any insight into where he got his from. I found an old for sale ad, where he sold his brace (no pics though).

If worse comes to worse, and I can't locate a manufacturer, I may just do that iceman69510. Depends on price to replicate it.

P.S.: I'm loving this board more and more. Unlike most of the DSM boards I frequent, everyone here is helpful and willing to help. I've received more responses to this one question on this board than I have after months on other boards. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif VR4.org

dustyduff

Curtis: Thanks for chiming in, that way you'll know what I'm talking about if I contact you for one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif The link was just an example, however the one on Ed's car is ALOT sturdier/beefy. It's not as cheap as the one in my link. I was only providing the link as a concept though. This is probably a better example: click

prove_it

That would be an easy fab job. Wow. Maybe about 10 bucks in material.

Hertz

Staff member
Now all we need is a group buy with 20 people and 10 backing out! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

prove_it

That never happens, your crazy!

I bought the one that Cy = CP had on his car and it appears to be a much better design than the one pictured in that link. Having used a Cusco made one that integrated the brace with the front strut tower bar on my Evo, I'd have to say the one on the Galant is sturdier and better made. The one I have goes to the M/C and curves around the strut tower and braces itself to driver side engine mount.

Cy can chime in on who made the orginal. If more of the design I currently have could be made I would pick another one up.

Daryl

G

Staff member
I believe cusco made one for the e39a but I think it's nla.

^^^^^I'm pretty certain that the one Cusco made for the GVR4 was for RHD cars only.

Daryl

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Tell Ed to post pics of the one from 1759. It was a really well made piece. Very beefy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dustyduff

Quote:
Tell Ed to post pics of the one from 1759. It was a really well made piece. Very beefy

Thanks Adrian. It is definitely a nice design. I don't want one like the POS in the first link I posted. I want the one you had on your car.

I texted Ed today to see if I can get pics up by this weekend.

JNR

No drilling into the car for me. I'd like to see the one that uses strut mounting. The best way is to mount whatever 'brace' with the MC physically attached to the plate...

Edit: seems there is an existing studmount on side of the strut tower (bad pic, hard to see)

Picture an "L" with a gusset and one side will accept the two MC 'holes' (studs from booster) and the other hole would be fastened at this studmount location. No drilling and probably wouldn't even need to loosen the MC nuts (depending on thickness of 'L' plate). Be creative on the 'L' so that you get the most footprint and me thinks it'd work good.

Hmmm, if there is a benefit, guess it'd be another thing to add to the list. Easy enough to make, at least, and won't be any worse than what;s there now.

Last edited:

curtis

Quoting Hertz:
Now all we need is a group buy with 20 people and 10 backing out! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

No we don't need anymore of that sh*t...

The absolute best way to build it would be a plate behind the booster acting as a doubler but not may people going to remove the booster and pedals just to add a thicker plate.

As for building one or 50 I could, just need one to go by to build a jig. Since my car is in 12 million pieces (Shut up all you people with running cars) and have a different master cylinder it would be about impossible for me to fab from scratch.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts