The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Yet another possible brake upgrade solution

belize1334

The problem is that prop-valves always have a knee point. And so adding a second one would give you two knee points and be very difficult to tune.

But, this has me thinking about the '04 Outlander rotors. 11.55" and bolt on for 5-lug DSM. I wonder if they'd fit inside camaro calipers/brackets. The 300zx rotors are 11.02". Is there an extra 1/4" of clearance between the rotor and the caliper? If so, you could be running 11.5" front (close to 20% better dissipation)with the smallest (38.1mm) PBR pistons which would shift the for aft ratio from 2.9 to 2.6 for a brake bias of 72% compared to factory 74% (which is actually significant). Then you get the backs doing more work (they're lazy in stock form) which further relieves the demand up front. I'm into it!

toybreaker

iconoclast
Quoting abc123:
In all honesty, I've not run into a master cylinder issue that would be fixed be having a larger bore. A bigger bore just means more pedal travel, right?

Quoting belize1334:
^^ More pedal travel and more clamping force for a given input pressure.

Increasing master cylinder bore size decreases system pressure (for a given pedal pressure) and will result in reduced clamping force, as well as decreased pedal travel.

89Mirageman

Quoting belize1334:
The problem is that prop-valves always have a knee point. And so adding a second one would give you two knee points and be very difficult to tune.

But, this has me thinking about the '04 Outlander rotors. 11.55" and bolt on for 5-lug DSM. I wonder if they'd fit inside camaro calipers/brackets. The 300zx rotors are 11.02". Is there an extra 1/4" of clearance between the rotor and the caliper? If so, you could be running 11.5" front (close to 20% better dissipation)with the smallest (38.1mm) PBR pistons which would shift the for aft ratio from 2.9 to 2.6 for a brake bias of 72% compared to factory 74% (which is actually significant). Then you get the backs doing more work (they're lazy in stock form) which further relieves the demand up front. I'm into it!

When I look up an 04 outlander on autozone's site it says the front brakes are 276mm, 2wd and 4wd models.

Last edited:

belize1334

@ Toybreaker... er right. Sorry, my head was on backwards. The bore of the MC gives the effective area to get from pressure to force. For the same force you need less fluid pressure if you have a bigger area. So increasing bore will shorten pedal travel and also decrease fluid pressure. Both good things if you're increasing the caliper piston diameter.

@ 89Mirageman... I guess it's '05,'06 Outlanders. click

BrandonEchols

Quoting JSchleim18:
3rd Gen Eclipse master cylinder are 1 1/16" bore direct bolt on

Direct replacement for ours?
No bending of lines like with the Q45 unit?
Have you done this mod, or can anyone confirm?
Part number?

RedTwo

Evo's are the same size (17/16") but they have one extra outlet (for the clutch) that needs to be plug up before you can use it. Straight swap for VR4 unit.

89Mirageman

Quick update on the Outlander 294mm rotors which I believe are also the same ones that come on the 08+ Lancers. I went to advance and bought one for a mockup with my Ford PBR twin piston calipers. The good news is that they barely clear the inside of my 16 x 8 oem 3000GT wheels. The bad news is that the bracket on the caliper hits the two mounting points on the knuckle. The only way that I see it working is to clock the caliper at a different angle and trim one of the mounting holes on the knuckle and drill a new one a little closer to the center to allow more clearance. I'll run out and take some pics in a bit, maybe you guys can come up with a better idea for me. I really would like to make this work since I have these perfect calipers just laying around.

Last edited:

89Mirageman

Here are the pics. You can see that the caliper bracket is too big for the 294mm rotor and there is no room to make a mounting bracket.

In this pic you can see that I clocked the knuckle a bit and one ear will clear. I was thinking of trimming the other ear on the sharpie line and drilling a new hole where the dot is. Not sure that I like this idea but it should work. Anybody got a better idea?

Here are some pics of how close the clearance is on my 16" wheel.

curtis

Ok the reason the Cobra rotors work is because of the depth of the hat. Its not that much my it being thinner this moves the caliper and bracket outward and gives space between the ears on the spindle and the ears on the bracket to offset and mount up with the bracket Ron designed. Maybe you can find a rotor the same dia but with a thinner hat and it will work with a stud in one hole and a bolt for the mounting.

pagosadsm

I had success with installing Mustang PBR calipers with Crown Vic 12X1.18 rotors.
The rear I fabbed 96 Corvette PBR calipers with 96 Corvette 12X 3/4" rotors. I also have a factory hand brake. I don't have any problems with the balance of the proportion valve.Everthing fits in a 3000gt 16" rims. You can see some photos in my gallery on www.dsmtuners.com. I am pagosa dsm there.
Rick

89Mirageman

Stumbled across another possible option, I grabbed these 4 piston calipers from an 87 Toyota 4WD pickup. They have two large pistons and two slightly smaller, plus they have the quick change pads. Here they are mocked up with a 276mm rotor from a 92.5-94 AWD DSM. Looks like a simple adapter is all that is needed.

Okayplayer

That's funny because I stumbled on a set just like these, let me know what you figured out for a mounting solution!

Okayplayer

Thread from the dead... Have you gotten anywhere with this? I'm looking at this now for a second option instead of the stealth rt brakes. I'm going to start digging on this in a few. More to come...

89Mirageman

Still haven't messed with them. All you have to do is get a rotor and caliper for mockup, use some mdf board or something to cut a few brackets out of. Get the dimensions right and then transfer it over to mild steel or aluminum plate and you're done.

maxpain

I installed today to my gf:s evo1 "outlander" front brakes.

Drilled 4 * 114.3 offset bolt holes to brake disks and bended little bit brake disk shield. Then it was bolt on!
I havent tried yet those on track. 15" wheels dont fit anymore with those brakes.I think ff you are installing those on galant you need change brakeline fittings to banjo type.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned