The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

what is the fair price for a 92 VR4 shell

fongvr4

I found this 92 shell, good body, good clean interior. the car has been converted to 5 lugs. here are the major issues:

1)replace windshield
2)no engine
3)no transmission/driveshaft.
4)LED light on the spoiler got crack.
5)the roof got a dent, but can be push out.

mileage is about 100k.

what do you guy think it is worth?

thanks

toybreaker

iconoclast
Building your own car from the ground up is sweet experience when you start with a clean shell.

Some of the cleanest cars on this board started their second lives as bare shells.

One of the primary things to look at when you're buying a shell is the condition of the structure itself.

Rust and accident damage are the deal breakers.

Everything bolts to the shell, so getting the cleanest one possible is very important.

Be sure to get underbody pics before setting out to look at/pick up the car.

If the owner doesn't want to take the time to shoot them, run.

What some people consider "minor" rust never ceases to amaze me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Rust in the rockers or around suspension pick up points is like a cancer. The treatment will rapidly exhaust your resources, and still leave you with a massive amount of other work to do.

Good luck!

TylerAdamson

I picked up 934 as a shell for 1k. Although it has high miles (210k) the shell itself is in excellent shape and structurally sound and I knew two of the previous owners and have somewhat of a history with the car.

fongvr4

thanks for the suggestion. I will check to ensure there is no rust or other hidden damage. if so, how much should I offer as consider a good price?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Just two data points for you:

Bought a shell for $750 in 2004. Had only 88k on it. Decent shape, but had been hit and repaired once before. Made a decent daily driver out of it, but not nice enough for me to want to keep.

Bought a non-running car (but complete) in 2007 for $1000. Still working on that one, but except for some clear issues (actually not the stock paint but a repaired area...), it is in really good shape with 134k miles.

DR1665

A recent check of the cars for sale section here at the end of last month came up with 15 incomplete parts cars/rollers/shells ranging from $500 to $2000 depending on the relative completeness of the vehicle. These specimens were listed anywhere within the US since January 1 of this year and the average listing price came out to $983.33.

Beyond that, what John said.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned