The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Very high idle!?!?

When I let off the gas the car maintains it's current RPM or sometimes even raises it while in neutral and foot off the pedal. Any ideas?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

SouthCaliVR4

If you still have the cruise control set up it can bind. Throttle cable inner liner can move & cause the throttle to hold open, throttle cable may just be binding. make sure the throttle body butterfly can move freely & that it's return spring is intact & of course that the pedal itself is not getting caught in a floor mat or some such. also check for vacuum leaks.

Stuck throttle plate, or sticking cable, large air leak, but some more info would help.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Idle Stop Switch might not be grounding showing the ECU that you have let off the throttle and are now at throttle closed position.

Quoting galant1517:
Stuck throttle plate, or sticking cable, large air leak, but some more info would help.

Well it is very random when it happens. When i let off it sometimes does not even reduce engine speed. It will idle very high at around 4000 and i cant get it to stop at times. When its in gear and under load its fine but as soon as i let off it or put it in neutral it will happen.

Its toyotas fault, now their unintended stuck throttle is beginning to affect old Mitsus. Damn you Toyota!

raptorWagon

Could be the Throttle Position Switch on the side of the throttle body acting up, though I had a similar situation that started happening when I had a coolant leak and the temp would start to climb, in stop and go traffic.

If you put a load on the engine, do the rpms drop back to normal, such as turning your AC on? Or giving the gas pedal a small rev help it at all to drop down?

It may be a coolant leak or the tstat went out and stuck closed. As odd as that sounds, compared to the other ideas, that's was the reason my car had the same symptoms. My leak though was around the tstat housing to the head.

I also still had all the Cruise control crap on the car during that time as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Well the car is not overheating, however, the other day coolant was pouring out of the overflow. I have since put in water wetter and that has not been an issue.

I have not tried turning on the AC when it happens, but when you put it back in gear and start to drive again it goes right back to how it should be. Giving it a small rev does nothing.

I have another good throttle body with all good sensors. If it is the throttle postion switch acting up would a new throttle body correct that?

Thanks for all the info guys.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
The idle stop switch is just a ground, whereby a single wire and connector attach at the back/top of the TB.
Check to make sure you have a complete circuit there when the switch closes.
Check over the bits mentioned above, because they could certainly be related to your problem.

Problem solved, ended up being the throttle cable was way to tight.

Thanks for the help guys.

vtecds1

Is there a specific amount of slack the cable should have?

Not a specific amount, each car will act differently to that. Made mine to where you have to lift just a little bit before it opens th butterfly.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned