The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Turbo to manifold bolts

Was just wondering if anyone knew what size bolts I need to replace the bolts and studs that go from a 2g manifold to a 14b turbo.... I could always pull one out and match it up just wanted to save a trip... car is 20 min from where I am... thanks

Muskrat

They are m10 x 80 1.25 mm thread pitch.

I've used hardware store bolts for short term repair, but definitely but the real thing from JNZ, or if you can find them, grade 10.9 bolts.

Thanks thats what i needed to know.... can't just use grade 8 bolts? Or is 10.9 the metric equivilent? Was going to replace the stud with a bolt anyways.... thanks for the help

Muskrat

10.9 is the metric equivalent. I HIGHLY suggest just getting the OEM hardware from JNZ though.

boostedinaz

I used regular grade 8 hardware one time in a pinch and after about a month of driving(forgot to change them out) one of them broke at the threads and the other were super brittle.

524of1000

^ I have the ARP bolts in mine, but I'm still JSB so no review. It looks sexy though! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TylerAdamson

Quoting BoostedAWD91:
you can get ARP Chromoly Turbo Bolts for not much more than stock bolts

I would stay away from the ARP hardware. When I was first getting into DSM's and the 4g63 motors I ordered the ARP hardware from FFWD Connection thinking they were the best available. I soon found out that they were not, they seized up and stripped out a s16g even with the use of anti-seize. Since then I have never used anything besides OEM hardware and haven't had a problem since.

Last edited:

mikus

two:
- that's messed up that grade 8 failed so fast.. was it purchased from a reliable source? I'm no metallurgist but it just doesn't seem right
- ARP: great head studs, do not buy the turbo bolts. I broke 4/4 on mine in the housing

Muskrat

^^ I'm assuming he meant metric grade 8.8, (really Class 8.8). It's equivalent to a US Grade 5 bolt.

Last edited:

jepherz

Staff member
Same experience with the ARB turbo bolts; I've had them seize up and strip out as well.

prove_it

IMO, turbo bolts are almost a maintence thing. It's less of a headache to replace all four every 10-20K miles than to have them break or strip out.

solidviper89

I got nothing but bad things to say about the ARP turbo to manifold bolts, they are a waste of money. I reused the OEM 20 Year old hardware and they held up pretty well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I just reused the stock bolts, can't find a quality enough bolt in town to replace them. thanks

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned