The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

TT Power Supply

belize1334

My HKS TT draws 18mA of current which keeps killing my battery when it gets really cold (-25F). I'd like to be able to manually cut the power to the TT during these cold nights and then switch it back on again when the car's running or when the weather is warmer and the battery isn't working so hard. Maybe I could even run it off of the accessory power (stereo) so that when the TT cuts the ignition it also cuts it's own power and can't draw current until the ignition is engaged again. My only concern is that killing TT power while leaving the harness in place could possibly disable the ignition (?).

Does anybody know if it's possible to intercept the power supply at the turbo timer harness so that it can be manually disabled without disabling the ignition?

The turbo timer shouldn't interupt the ignition circuit, it should only keep the ignition circuit alive when the key is removed, when the timer shuts off the curcuit and the timer go dead untill the key is turned on again. when my timer is off, its off till i turn the car on again. Maybe something is wired wrong.

belize1334

^^ No that's exactly what it does. The problem is just that it draws some maintenance power (just like your stereo) in order to preserve the settings and stuff. I just did some testing at it actually amounts to just about 10mA. That's the same amount of power as the rest of the car combined in this state. So, when everything is shut down, the total draw on the battery is about 20mA. 10mA for the TT and 10mA for the clock, stereo, etc. I also check with and without the factory alarm system and determined that it adds a negligible draw on the system.

Like I said, this is just a maintenance draw and it's not big at all. But when the weather gets to -25F it becomes significant. I ended up doing a little experimenting and answered my own question. If you interrupt the power to the TT it disables it with no effect on the ignition. This reduces the maintenance draw by half. Still, it may be worth it to get rid of the other half too by just unplugging the battery when it gets really cold.

belize1334

^^ Those are awesome. Thanks for the tip.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned