The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Thinking of downgrading my future setup.

Boostdtalon

So original plan was for a 3076R on 192. But I've been debating on possibly downgrading to a bolt on 50 trim since I know that will yield me my power goals and then some. I've done the 16G before and I would rather keep it in the larger frame. The power I'm looking for is around 350-375 whp on 93 and this car will be mainly street with autox/road course when possible.

Do you guys think this would be more fitted? Anyone with a bolt on 50 I'd like some opinions on your setup. I've already drooled over Jay's setup but who hasn't. Love that car.

The 50 trim is a great turbo. 50 trim/272/SMIM is such a blast. I will say to do it over again for a strictly autox car, I'd do a 16g/264/Cyclone setup. Top of 2nd just going balls out and then slamming on your brakes doesn't inhibit as fast of times as I had with a 16g for low rpms quick spool up blasts out of a corner.

Now, road course/twisties(what I put my car together for) the 50 trim really shines. Mid to top end gets these boxes moving fast. Keep the revs above 3500 and with the momentum feels like a much more nimble car.

Then if you want to, put some squeeze on it like Mr. Crisman and run a 10 on the thing. They are SUPER versatile street use turbos but for autox I think they are a little too big.

Did I mention I like 50 trims? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Boostdtalon

Thanks Jay. I run autox but being up here in NC I have more road courses near me. I have a friend that ran his M3 at VIR and is now prepping his Evo X for road courses. So I'm starting to lean more into that. And you know what the mountains are like up here so my car is definitely going to be setup for that.

Last edited:

4thStroke

Just for reference, my bolt on HTA 3076 (FP DSM76) with the small JMF SMIM sees full spool at 4k on 92 octane. A little late for autox, but as long as you keep the revs up in the twisties, its a lot of fun. Loads of power from 4k RPM and up, makes powering out of the corners an absolute blast, although it does feel a little unnatural revving the car that high when entering a corner.

Last edited:

Boostdtalon

well good news. I found a member on one of the virginia forums that has a cheap T-3 for sale. I know that I will end up getting a better one but forunately I have friends that can help me clean it up and brace it as I'm sure it doesn't have. So looks like I'm going to keep the 30R.

NateCrisman

Quoting crankwalk:
The 50 trim is a great turbo. 50 trim/272/SMIM is such a blast. I will say to do it over again for a strictly autox car, I'd do a 16g/264/Cyclone setup. Top of 2nd just going balls out and then slamming on your brakes doesn't inhibit as fast of times as I had with a 16g for low rpms quick spool up blasts out of a corner.

Now, road course/twisties(what I put my car together for) the 50 trim really shines. Mid to top end gets these boxes moving fast. Keep the revs above 3500 and with the momentum feels like a much more nimble car.

Then if you want to, put some squeeze on it like Mr. Crisman and run a 10 on the thing. They are SUPER versatile street use turbos but for autox I think they are a little too big.

Did I mention I like 50 trims? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I downgraded my T3T4 50trim, 264/272 cams, and SMIM to a 16G, stock cams, and stock intake: and couldn't be happier with the car. It still runs' 11's in street trim, doesn't need a rollbar, makes a WAY better powerband. I couldn't imagine running a 50trim on an autox course, IMHO the car would be faster with a 14b than any T3T4 varient. Not to mention an E3-16G is not that much behind a 50trim in ultimate power. If I was buying/choosing parts new I don't think I would move to a garret frame turbo setup for anything less than 60lb/min with the goal of running 10's. If you want to run mid 11's, just stick with the E3 16G and be happy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

You can always spray an E3 16g car into the 10's as well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned