The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Thermostat Housing ?

Hey guys, I'm currently rebuilding my engine and the other day my engine spun on the engine stand and obliterated the thermostat housing where it connects to the head (punching myself in the face for that one). I found one on craigslist for a 1g and was looking at buying it when i noticed the radiator cap is on top of the housing on the 1g's. Does anyone know if the bottom half of the housing off the 1g will fit the top half from the vr4, or if i should just leave the 1g top on it? I'm trying to pick it up in the next couple of hours so any help would be great.

Barnes

The bottom half of the 1g thermostat housing WILL fit the GVR-4 top piece. You have to have the GVR-4 top piece if you are using a normal GVR-4 radiator.

raptorWagon

Not true! You can use a 1g water neck, but you will now have a second radiator cap then and the neck angles differently than the Galants, so you will need to cut the hose to suit the 1G Water neck.

Barnes

They aren't the same? Crap, I'm sorry. I could have sworn they were identical. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Barnes

You can't put a GVR-4 water neck on a 1g thermostat housing?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

raptorWagon

I was saying not true that you have to use a vr4 top half, if you're in a pinch the 1g will work fine. They are interchangeable pieces but gvr4/1g/2g dsm water necks are all different angles, I believe the 2Gs have the most acute angles.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned