The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

T-case drive shaft flex a little when the clutch is pressed in.

gvr4ever

Is it normal to have any flexing or play in the drive train when the clutch is pressed in? I just replaced the slave cylinder, and the master had been rebuilt. Clutch was working great for a few days, but seems to be going back to wanting to grab near the floor. The system has all new fluid. I'm trying to find loose bolts, but everything seems to be tight as can be.

Just wondering if the flex is normal or not.

gramkrakr89

If there are only 3 bolts connecting your transmission to your engine, you're missing the rear "hidden bolt" ...

If your t-case/drive-shaft are moving, I would assume something isn't quite right

gvr4ever

Thanks for the tip. I printed off the bolt pattern .gif off of vfaq.com. I'll have to drop the exhaust tomorrow. Whatever the issue is, is new. I haven't worked on my car in 6-8 months. I know the cars have to have some flex and tolerances, but I don't know what is normal. I wouldn't have ever noticed, but I had someone pressing the clutch in while I was beading the system. I doubt a bolt is missing, but I guess it's possible something got loose. Just have to find it.

turbofonz

100% missing the rear bolt, or loose bolts. The rear is a 12mm head vs. the 14mm head of the other 3. Pay attention to the transmission when you press the clutch, you're actually separating it from the block.

You don't have to drop the exhaust to get to it, but it helps. Some maneuvering from above or below you can get to it, but it's really a pain in the ass.

Fix ASAP, this can lead to some really crappy issues.

Last edited:

gvr4ever

Thanks. It's not being driving right now. I parked it when I noticed a problem.

gvr4ever

I think I found a missing one from the rear of the trans to the t-case. Here are some pics. Is this where PNC 20999Q - MD706012 is suppose to go? The diagram just kind of shows the bolt floating, so it's hard to know where it's suppose to go. I haven't had the transmission down for a few years and I feel like I've forgotten everything.

jepherz

Staff member
Nope, all 5 bolts that hold the transfer case to the trans are coming from the driver (left) side of the car to the right side.

turbofonz

The one you're looking for will be near the tail of the T-case. Near the axle shaft.

Might be better off just dropping the exhaust and Tcase. It does go the way the tcase bolts go, but it's a small 12mm head.

gvr4ever

The rear transmission bolt was missing. I got it back together, but tomorrow I'm going to change the t-case and rear diff fluid, fuel filter, and give it a oil change before I take it out for a spin.

I hope all is well.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned