The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

spark plug wire fuze to plug?

ok, brace yourself. went to start in on a head gasket replacement, get to pulling the plugs, and the plug cables wont pop off the plug. dont scoff here, im serious... wrenched on them several different ways and not even a budge. is it possible to overheat/run that engine so hot it fuzzes the spark plug wires to the plug it self. i promise you wouldn't be asking this unless it was a worst case scenario, but ive got the entire top end stripped down (yes valve cover, and studs pulled) and the plugs are still in attached to the cables... anything?

killin me

Andrew

AnotherNewb

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Long, skinny needle nose pliers, and a new set of wires. Use of a dielectric grease on the ends of the boots will prevent future "Fuzing"

tried that... skipped the subtleties and accepted new plug wires and even tried vice grips. when i say these things are on there, i stood over the engine with the hood off, with a slip knot on the plug cable (with the boot off) hooked to a mag light as a handle pulling straight up. no budge. the things are on there.

JSchleim18

Possibly hack the spark plug wire enough to fit a deep socket over it to loosen the spark plug/wire as one unit?

toybreaker

iconoclast
Yea, I've seen that problem before. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Do you have the boot totally stripped off, and now it's just the wire stuck to the plug or is there still booty involved?

A pic of what's left would be helpfull. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

When I know the wire is borked, I just cut the fawker off flush and then use the long, curved tip needle nose pliers to terrorise what's left of the boot enough to get a deep well socket on the plug. Harbour freight has em, and they call them hose pliers.

Don't worry about breaking the plug, it won't hurt anything.

In fact, I've seen vandalistic flat rate mooks just break em off when they see this problem, and blow out the remains with compressed air. Then they loosen the remains with a deep well socket,and extract what's left with a magnet on a stick. It's ugly, but it works, for them. (I'm always worried a piece of the ceramic will end up in the chamber)

At any rate, please check this head out carefully!

Depending on your power goals, spending deep coin on machine work trying to save an overheated head just doesn't make econimical sense.

If it got hot enough to melt the plug boots, it's a good bet there's going to be other issues that preclude it from being a good candidate for machine work, at least in a motor that will see high cylinder pressures and severe duty.

A good core from a low mile normally aspirated motor makes an excellent core to build on, and in the long run can save you serious time, money, and grief.

Last edited:

dude. thank you so much. yes i have the boot off, good to know im not the only one with this stupid hang up. ill post a picture when im back at home.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned