The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

slow window... how much time do I have (and other questions)

DR1665

Passenger front window is painfully slow.

I've cleaned the tracks thoroughly and lubed everything up with silicone, but it's still stupid slow. It doesn't bind and everything looks to be in order, otherwise. I tried searching, but met with disappointment.

- Could this be a case of dirty contacts after all these years? Could I pull the motors, clean the contacts or maybe replace commutator bushings?
- If the motor is due for replacement, any chance we've got compatibility with the DSMs?
- Anyone else run into something like this and have it just fail one day?

And, finally, anyone have any tricks for getting the motors out?

Thanks.

jepherz

Staff member
Did you try loosening up the window mount when it was in fully closed position? I think they can sometimes get lined up wrong, so the window is fighting the track un-necessarily the whole way up.

broke down

sounds to me like the regulator motor is going bad. Have you checked voltage at the motor terminals? If it's around 12.6 volts, and nothing is binding, then the motor is going bad. Replace it soon, or stop using it. If it quits in the down position, and Murphy's law tells us that it will, you are screwed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Terry Posten

My DS window was rocking forward just a little bit in the tracks when going up and binding. I re-adjusted the window rollers and tighened everything up. Works great now.

ggsxkid

i also have this problem. ive owned the car for 5 years with no problems. now i can't say thats how long you have but im just saying it may not be the case of the motor going soon. my windows get especailly slow when it is damp and or raining out. . . sometimes the rears just stop and i have to help them up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif is it maybe we just need an adjustment of the regulator?

JackbNimble

Quoting Terry Posten:
My DS window was rocking forward just a little bit in the tracks when going up and binding. I re-adjusted the window rollers and tighened everything up. Works great now.

How do you adjust the rollers? I'm having this issue with my drivers side window. It will go down fine, when I put it up about a 1/4 of the way up it jars to one side because the slider rocks inside the track. Then every now and again it gets stuck in a certain position because of it. I was just going to replace the whole thing, because I couldn't find a way to adjust it.

DR1665

Thanks as always, gents. I'll take the meter to it next time I've got the skins off. I'll also double check the alignment of the assembly with the window rolled up all the way.

turbowop

On 1051 the passenger front window is slow, on 503 it's the drivers front window that's slow. They're even worse when wet and on 503 if it's cold enough the window won't even roll down. That sucks when trying to get some food to go in a drive-thru. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

GIjoe

Quoting broke down:
Replace it soon, or stop using it. If it quits in the down position, and Murphy's law tells us that it will, you are screwed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Yep, thats just what happened to me last year. I was far away from home and it started raining real bad. So I took off the door trim real quick, unscrewed the glass from the rack and pushed it up with my hand. I had to hold it up all the way till I got home. ( I have a garage so it wasnt a problem afterwards.) I replaced the whole thing the next day ( I had a spare motor).

Last edited:

Terry Posten

The middle plastic mount that the regulator bolts to and clamps tight to the window, there are a few screws. Loosen them, rock the window back and forth to see what way you need to slide the plastic and the re-tighten. It took me about 3 times to get it correct. Now it works great.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned