The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Sacrilege????

prove_it

I'm getting ready to start on the exterior of 715. Painting will happen sometime next spring/summer. Before I do that though I need to decide on what bumpers to use.
Rear wing will be deleted and a stick on M3 look lip will be used instead.

Looking for an opinion based thread regarding using the AMG front bumper with a GVR4 jdm rear bumper. I'm kinda on the fence about the front bumper. I love the looks, but I'm not sure if getting one would be wrong for a VR4. Plus I'm wondering if filling in the AMG bumper badge would be in poor taste or good. My build is to stick mostly mitsu based but crock pot of sourced parts.

Also will the AMG bumper have enough air opening for a good front mount? I won't be using an ets or similar kit, but it will be custom.

EHmotorsports

I think if you're not going for original appearance. then i would say go all out. AMG and jdm bumpers look good on the cars. At least it isn't a Fast and Furious body kit;).
this is my personal view on the bumpers. I would leave the AMG and fill in the trim strip in the bumper and side panels. hopefully it would make everything flow together better.
I do not have an AMG bumper so I could not tell you with 100% confidence that the cooling ability's will be hindered. But if you are worried about it you might be able to make up panels to enclose the front core support to the entrance of the bumper to help direct airflow through the inter cooler to the radiator.

turbowop

The problem I see aesthetically is that the AMG bumper is angled and edgy with no trim strip, where the normal JDM bumper is more rounded and has that strip. IMO, the AMG bumper needs the AMG sides and rear bumper to tie it all together. So all or nothing when it comes to the AMG parts. But that's just me.

prove_it

I plan on filling in all the trim strips anyway. I do not care for the strip.

LIV4PSI

If you are going to do one bumper, I would do both. Although I think the regular JDM bumpers look better. The only AMG parts I prefer are the smooth side cladding.

cheekychimp

The JDM rear bumper and AMG rear bumper are almost identical. If you fill in the rear strip on the JDM rear you have as close to an AMG rear as you can get without the badge recess. For the doubters, one member on here has been using a JDM rear bumper with the strip filled in on an AMG body kit and passing it off as an AMG bumper for a while and no-one appears to have noticed yet.

AMG front does have less room for a front mount. It isn't simply a case of the opening, there is less physical space behind the bumper for an intercooler. The AMG was an NA car it was never designed to have a front mount. That's why most AMG cars you see never have anything larger than a 16G.

On my car I will doing the complete opposite. Genuine AMG rear and JDM front with the strip filled in to take the ETS front mount.

Last edited:

prove_it

Good to know about the room for a FMIC. I want to avoid hacking up a rare bumper that cost 700 bucks to get. I'm leaning towards the Jdm front. I might rock my hacked up and shortened front for a while though, I need the rear though. I think our usdm rear is hideous, even shortened. Does the rear jdm bumper have roughly the same curve to it as an usdm rear?

fuel

I find that on the AMG rear the lines are much sharper and you can see at the top of the bumper whereas the standard JDM VR-4 bumper is rounder even with the trim line filled in. The skirting is shallower and deeper and also more squared off, but yes not many people would really notice. I think the JDM VR-4 bumpers have the right amount of roundness compared to the rest of the car's lines however the AMG kit as a whole seemingly works well and actually makes the car look a little more modern.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned