The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rear strut bushing orientation?

stealthtt24

I'm going to be putting on new rear struts and the last time I installed them I know I didn't put them together correctly. Here is the bushing kit I am talking about. I would look at my manual on cd but seem to have misplaced it atm.

getimage.php

Heres a picture of them installed but I can't tell since its such a small picture. Anyone help me out? Thanks!

sands065.jpg

stealthtt24

See if I can explain this... OK the way I did it was the large metal washer was last. The largest rubber bushing, top left, goes under the strut mount. The metal sleeve goes inside the top left bushing, thru the strut mount, then to one of the other strut bushings. They both look similar but sport minor differences. I can't tell which is which from the picture, I just used the one that was on the old strut. So I have one left over.

So it went large rubber bushing, metal sleeve thru that, strut mount, rubber bushing of your choice, large metal washer. That combo works for me with no noises.

s_firestone

First time I did this with evo spring/AGX in the rear I used what it looked like in the diagram. Although it mounted, if the washer is in the wrong order, it will pop the strut rod up through the mount and into the space in the trunk. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif The rubber is enough to hold it in place statically. But, the first bump and your car will immediately begin riding like a Pinto with no shocks.

I ended up with the 2nd bushing left over as well. I can only assume it was to cover differences in top mounts.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned