The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

R134 ac conversion

i can not find a write up on this how or where do i find how to convert my ac so i am able to recharge it

NickDromez

your gonna needa buy a new reciver/dryer and new fittings. its actually pretty easy, evacuate the r12 in the proper manner, convert the r12 fittings to the r134a fittings, and remove the current reciever/dryer and replace it with a new one(make sure to leave it sealed and closed up untill the very last second) then recharge your system with new r134a and PAG oil. you can buy retrofit kits from kragen and do some research to find a dryer

While the new drier is a good idea, its not necessary. Really just the little adapter fittings are all you need. If you don't have a shop you will have to take it to one anyhow, buy the adapter fittings yourself (cheaper) and take it to a shop and get it "serviced" and tell them you want it converted.

496of2000

A buddy of converted my vr-4 to R-134. 1st I went to a AC shop and had them evacuate the old R-12. I bought a kit from griffin, which has a receiver/dryer O-rings,conversion adapters and oil. I watched him do it and he replaced the receiver/dryer and fittings, then he vaccumed out the system for 1/2 hour. Recharged the system two 12oz R-134 cans. I noticed it really was not cool. Another friend that's a mechanic mentioned you need to adjust the high and low pressures. My old bud put too much R-134 in it. Now it works correctly.

Yup, too much refrigerant and the system won't work well.

At work we stick a digital thermometer in the vent and slowly add refrigerant. The temp will come down and then once it starts coming back up we'll pull a bit of refrigerant out and call it good. That's a cheap easy way to keep from overfilling.

That is real good advice on getting the temp just right BTW. Thanks for this. I get all scientific and make charts comparing the vent temp vs ambient temperature.

I guess I am just so happy that I can get that far without leaks that I don't mind being analytical!

dsmless

i did the retrofit a year ago just bouught a kit off autozone like 50 bucks and comes with the retroit oil the hose the new caps and a bottle of 1st charge then i just bought another bottle of freon and added half of it, ac works great no problems so far and it gets very ht down here

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned