The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Quick question on rear wheel bearings

LordAthey

I went to get new tires on my galant the other day and the day putting them on said that I have play in both of my rear bearings. Do I believe the guy possibly. I figured I should get it done something in the new future. I have done the front wheel bearings before I just want to know if the back are the same as the front? If someone could also hook me up with the part number for this so I know I'm getting the right part that would be awesome.

Thanks,

Scott

jepherz

Staff member
The rears are actually 2 sealed bearings. They are much easier to change out than the fronts, IMO.

Terry Posten

click

Check out my how to post in the above link. Has all the part numbers you need and how to do the rear bearings.

I have recently done this,

Tip: Once you are installing your rear hubs back in and notice rotating the hub is a bit tight. Smack it with a hammer on the outside, this will seat the bearings. If you have any questions, i normally check gvr4.org multiple times a day so, shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

I got my bearings from rock auto and picked them by choosing "rear inner, rear outer" Don't forget to grab and seal also.

Removing ABS thing: click
Removing the bearing (ignore cocky attitude, meant for a friend): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjX0lHktnsY

pressing them on:

Always press on the friction side of a bearing race. The rears, you press the inner race. The fronts, you press the outer race. (meant for readers thinking about doing this)

Parts, rockauto.com

$16.26 x2
TIMKEN Part # 710152 More Information About this Part Shaft Size: 1.417"; Housing Bore: 2.52"; Seal Width: 0.433"; Seal Outside Dia: 2.526"; Seal Lip Material: Nitrile; Housing Material: Steel; Max Temp: 225°F; Min Temp: -40°F; Seal Type: #; Press Fit
AWD; REAR INNER

$15.36 x2
TIMKEN Part # 511015 More Information About this Part 0.6693 in. Width
AWD; REAR OUTER

$11.74
NATIONAL Part # 511014 More Information About this Part Ball Bearing; Bore=1.1024", Outer Diameter=2.2835", Width=0.6299"
Rear Wheel; Inner

Hope this helps.

~Chad

few pictures: https://www.galantvr4.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Board=UBB3&Number=967007&Forum=f3&Words=&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=967004&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=10140&daterange=1&newerval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post967007

Edit: I prefer this how to... http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-suspension-brakes/332566-1g-awd-rear-wheel-bearing-replacement.html

I pressed the dust shield and the bearing as one unit. If your dust shield is damaged it will cause fiction against your bearing so make sure its in good shape when you press it all on.

To remove the hubs, once everything is un-bolted. I used a slide hammer that worked very fast and easy.

Last edited by a moderator:

alansupra94

Good information in here! I was actually going to replace the fronts and rears soon as it is starting to make a crapload of noise. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned