The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Picture Request: White Valve Cover

CarRacer

Im purchasing some couplers and only want to buy them once. I'm leaning black, to fit a black and white color scheme. I'd like to have a white valve cover, so if any of you could show pictures of that.

Polish

White looks nice on VC's but I would think it would get dirty fast. Black is win for couplers though.

CarRacer

Thats why it's nice. Points out leaks. Also more incentive to not own a leaker.

Wizardawd

I tried a white VC once, even with a nice coat of high temp clear. It eventually started turning kinda yellow from the heat and oil.

And I don't think it would be neccessary to have a white VC to point out leaks. It's kinda obvious if it's leaking from the VC no matter the color.

Speaking of white....here's a cool trick. To find leaks easily, pressure wash the engine as clean as possible. Then coat the suspected areas with Rightguard underarm deodorant spray. It puts a white chalky layer on that instantly turns brown when oil touches it.

Wiz

Last edited:

Flip4G63

^^ lol.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

i have always used that glowing crap. i forget what is called though UV leak detector or something like that.

Andy_S

I just look under the car. If nothing were good to go.

I have a really nice black dsm VC I might let go of. That or red always looks good.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wizardawd

Quoting Flip4G63:
^^ lol.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

i have always used that glowing crap. i forget what is called though UV leak detector or something like that.

Yeah I used that too at the dealership, but it isn't exactly on every parts store shelf (usually just napa) and then they need a blacklight to boot. I was just thinking of that when I was typing so i'd thought i'd share.

Wiz

dsmer06

Quoting Wizardawd:
I tried a white VC once, even with a nice coat of high temp clear. It eventually started turning kinda yellow from the heat and oil.

I powdercoated a Hyundai valve cover white for a local guy. I used 2 coats of clear over it. He's been using it for 1-2 years and it's still not yellow.

Wizardawd

It was probably more of the clear turning yellow from oil spills, etc. Wasn't my car, just it didn't stay a brilliant white for long.

Wiz

I did a white VC for a customer and it came out nice. But yes, you definetely need a clear coat for it so it doesn't get stained.

Picture040.jpg

Lonewolf64

Valve cover looks good but those wheels are /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

GIjoe

wow, thats pretty nice actually!

cOmpressor

The Hulkster says you better not call those McDonald brotha!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned