The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Painting over carbon fiber...

SleepinGVR4

So I think I want to paint my CF grill, summit white to match my car. And I did some research and almost everywhere I read it says to use a epoxy primer. Some websites even said to use a thin layer of bondo/body filler so the CF doesn't show through. I'm not to worry if the weave pattern shows through because you would probably only be able to see up close. And personally I think it would look kinda neat, plus its only a grill.

Anyone ever attempt this? If so what steps did you take? Did you use epoxy primer?

mitsuturbo

I've never tried it, but i know some of the higher end CF bodied exotics are obviously painted, and you can see the "weave" plain as day. It actually looks a hell of a lot better than bare/clearcoated CF.

GreenGSX

The wing on the One Lap car is carbon fiber but I painted it white to match the "works Rally" theme. All I did was scuff it with a scotch-brite pad, prime with some generic spray primer, and then top-coated it with white spray paint. If you are going to use automotive type paints like a base coat clear coat system just follow the normal steps, wet sand and fill as needed, couple coats of high-fill primer, more wet sanding, a sealer coat of epoxy primer, base coat, then clear.

CSMShaun

I would rather the weave show through. I am no fan of unpainted carbon fiber but it is neat when the panel is painted and you can see the weave.

jepherz

Staff member
He's saying the weave shows through because of the texture, not the actual appearance (color).

I have limited bodywork experience, but generally epoxy primer (2 part) is just used to seal better. You can put it on a steel bodied car and it is then weather proof and you wouldn't have to paint it for years. I think you'd just want to clean and scuff it up well and just paint it.

CSMShaun

Finished carbon fiber pieces are usually smooth and do not have any texture from the weave. I have never seen a piece that had texture from the fibers.

Rausch

fade2.jpg

Part was clear coated originally. The part was prepped (wet sanded/scuffed for paint), painted- minus the exposed portion, and the whole part was cleared.

Painting a dry carbon part would pretty much defeat the purpose of spending the $$ to buy the dry carbon part in the first place.

dsm10o0

thenewpaintCFhood.JPG

I saw someone on dsmtuners who just sprayed over his cf hood with candy paint. It still shows the weave and it looks good IMO.

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

That looks amazing. I like it a lot.
The car is all painted the same color, yet you can see a little hint that it's not stock, and has been upgraded. Rather than ALL UP IN YO FACE, LOOK YO I GOTS DA SEE-EFF HOOD DAWG!

xkoolaidx

i just finished composite material technology, and carbon fiber was our main material, we had to repair, bondo and paint the parts we made. so for a little insight on the subject, it is very possible (like everyone else said basically) do a thin layer of primer (epoxy does work a bit better imo) than paint with 2-3 layers.

curtis

Go by walmart and get a can of white frig paint. Its epoxy and lasts forever I rank it up there with powdercoating. Just make damn sure the surface is spotless and free of bugs/oil etc. If it fish eyes your in trouble. Now if you would rather just trade I have a Paulo fiberglass in white sitting in the shop hibernating. Send me a PM if you do.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned