The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

non abs conversion

b00st33d

So, i am trying to convert my car to a non-ABS and i have a hard time loosening the nuts on the brake lines. I used a line wrench and i still strip the nuts. I tried torching it too and i got a couple nuts out. There is not a lot of space trying to loose them where the pvalve is located. Can I just cut most of the lines? Which of the lines needs to be saved? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Dialcaliper

The only lines you need to save are the lines going to the rear - you need the non-abs lines from the master to the prop valve, and from the prop valve to both front wheels. Are you using a proper flare-nut wrench and still stripping them?

b00st33d

Yes, i am using a 10 mm flare wrench that i bought from kragen. Are the rear lines connected to the pvalve? Sorry, i cant tell right now (my car is @ my parents house)

JSchleim18

Try to tighten them a tiny bit then loosen them. It should release the seal it make with the flared fitting.

BoostedAWD91

i noticed some flare wrenches u buy for brake lines work better than others. I bought a set of 3 from Napa and they work amazing!! I have yet to have any problems removing the lines

I never had luck with the stupid lines. I ended up using vice-grip pliers and getting a DEEP grip on the threads. Easy from there.

ktmrider

Quoting BoostedAWD91:
i noticed some flare wrenches u buy for brake lines work better than others. I bought a set of 3 from Napa and they work amazing!! I have yet to have any problems removing the lines

+1, the potmetal set I got from Checker were crap when I was working on the clutch line.
Used a set of Matco's, same nut came right off.

4wheelsqueal

Me too. I have a set from matco and never have a problem cracking them loose.

pot

Staff member
I concur a premium brand of flare nut wrenches can make/break you. I have both the Matco and Snap-On brand however I prefer the Snap to the Mat. Obvioulsy, they are pricey but well worth it. I think I paid $225.

Here's a picture of the Matco.

blacksheep

Spray them with PB Blaster every night for a few days and go at them after 4 or 5 days. A flare nut wrench has always worked. Ensure not to break the line, if you do and especially the rear one from prop valve, you are in trouble coz they are NLA...

Regarding cutting lines, do you have all the replacement lines, btw? The front ones from prop valve to brakes can be substitued with TEL ones. The rear ones will just attach to prop valve, I think. Its been so long, I am fuzzy!

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned