The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

No start, no fuel pressure?

Captn

This is fun, I switched out my fuel sending unit gasket the other day and when I wired everything back up... I try to crank the car over and notice smoke coming from my trunk... Apparently the guy that wired my fuel pump ( intank ) thought it was a good idea to use a red ground wire and a black power wire, me not knowing this at all almost burned my car to the ground. Lucky for me my battery is in the trunk and my pump was rewired.

Now I have new wires and the car will not start. The fuel pump turns on fine! I have 0 fuel pressure when cranking the car over. I took apart the aeromotive afpr and found the insides were in good shape ( recently took it apart ) I did notice that the diaphragm almost wilted when I took it out, but its in good shape no tears or hole of any kind.

I took apart the fuel filter and cleaned the metal element, there was almost nothing in there...

Really at a loss here, the car ran before this, I did have some erratic fuel pressure but I found some loose wires to the pump ( I figured that was the problem ).

I have an aftermarket fuel rail so I cannot try the stock fpr.

I didn't smell any gas when I tried starting the car either, but when I took off the lines to the afpr and filter gas poured out....I have gas in my tank, not much but the sock is submerged.

Anyone have any ideas? Plugs and wires are new, like within 45 days.

Would the relay even turn the pump on if it was bad? Would the pump still turn on if it was bad? I tested the voltage and it was around 12v, but it was not steady it was jumping 11.95-11.98

snailspool

Well the 0 fuel pressure is surely the cause of the no start. What fuel pump do you have? If its a wally, you should be able to hear it turn on, and pump. Also, you could try running it, by jumping the relay while you are back near the pump to hear or see fuel flow (link or a logger can do this as well, IIRC) If it is running, there may be an intank leak. I have removed fuel pump assy, set them in a bucket of water, and connected 12v to them to locate these. Make sure you attempt to block the flow a few times, as i had leaks that only showed up under pressure.

Good luck

Captn

Thanks for the reply.

I have an EvoIX pump and I know it turns on, I will have to look for leaks.

I know the sending unit had a small leak but it was because the gasket was torn.

I just bought a new relay and I am going to try that out. Also mine did not have a inline fuse so I got one of those too.

snailspool

So you know that you have flow? And which gasket was torn, the O ring for the feed??

snailspool

Ahhh, well, its very possible the fuel pump was killed. Hook it up directly to 12v to see. You can run it for a second without fuel, just not too long as fuel cools and lubricates it.

Captn

Turned out to be a bad fuel pump!

I got a new one and the galant thought it was about time for another round of tests, see how many I could take before I gave in...

First was a stripped nut on a stud to the tank, no biggie really besides the fact that I don't have an extension cord ( who the f*** doesn't have an extension cord ) or any portable power tools. So I stretched my dremel as far as I could and got it!

Next test! I got everything in order with the new pump and I am about to tighten the bolts down to the tank and one of the brand new studs strips out.... At this point I am mumbling obscenities, so I take care of the stripped stud and the same things happens on the next brand new stud..... Rinse and repeat LOL.

It didn't take long nor was it hard work, just another set of tests this car throws me to see if I am worthy!

snailspool

They will test you, no doubt about that. Glad you figured it out! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned