The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New 2.3 issues

minneSNOWta

Hey there. I have a few issues with getting my new engine to idle at about 750 rpms. The alternator was squealing/smoking, so I replaced it with a freshly rebuilt one (appears OEM) from Nate Crisman. The engine is a 2.3 with 2G Mas, 2G dejon pipe, and the stock 450's. FPR is from a 1G N/T A/T that is the highest flowing stock FPR I believe.

The stock throttle body was working before I put the car back together. Cleaned it out good before I installed with new gaskets. Vacuum lines on top are all hooked up and routed properly.

I replaced the tan top ISC with a black top off a parted out, formerly running 2G. It was bouncing between 1000 and 2000 before. Started it up again and it was at 3000! Turned the car off and grounded the idle switch connector near the firewall to the battery. Used link to ground the OBD pin as well and turned her back on. Started going right with the BISS screw and it bottomed out. RPM's only dropped to about 2500. FYI, I have 2G MAS and 450's selected on link, but no other adjustments had been made.

The only thing I can think of now is the TPS, which I have a replacement laying around. The throttle cable is adjusted and butterfly valve is properly closed and functioning. I have a N/T throttle body that I was planning on using later, so that is why I am using the old one.

The high idle could also be attributed to some vacuum line routing issues I am having. I have a 2G dejon pipe with a recirculation tube fitting, but no valve cover vent or charcoal canister nipples (got in way of radiator fan). Dejon says it is okay to vent the CC line to the ground. They also say it is okay to vent the stock intake tube line off the stock boost controller.

I was planning on running two catch cans. Here is the setup, but I don't know what to do with the line that would go into the intake to make the PCV system work properly.

Should I tee into the BOV recirc tube? Would capping that line ruin the loop of the PCV system? I appreciate all input. Thanks.

AnotherNewb

Do you still have coolant line connected to your FIAV? Better yet, when you cleaned your throttle body did you soak the FIAV with carb cleaner? Both of those will give you a shitty idle.

rdomeck

Sounds like you have a fuel injector o-ring leaking or some other source of vacuum leak. I would start with looking at you fuel injector o-rings and go from there. You can use a can of carb cleaner and start spraying around the fuel injectors with it running. When your RPM's go up you know you have a vacuum leak!

minneSNOWta

I have not blocked off the FIAV or EGR, so I'm sure the coolant line is hooked up. My buddy cleaned the TB for me and used brake cleaner. Not sure if the FIAV is clogged or not, but I will take off the TB and check.

I will also look at the o-rings. Tried to install 560's earlier, but one of them is missing some sort of plastic piece that shrouds the bottom of the injector.

Thanks for the help, will report back soon.

ggsxkid

Quoting rdomeck:
Sounds like you have a fuel injector o-ring leaking or some other source of vacuum leak. I would start with looking at you fuel injector o-rings and go from there. You can use a can of carb cleaner and start spraying around the fuel injectors with it running. When your RPM's go up you know you have a vacuum leak!

Have you tried disconnecting the iac to see if the idle will drop? Sometimes they stick. I know because mine did the same exact thing. I haven't had mine connected for 3 years now Hahaha.

minneSNOWta

Good idea. Will have to try that.

Does anyone know what to do with that leftover vacuum line? I tried researching, but came out with nada.

misterfixit

THAT'S NOT A VACUUM LINE. IT'S A BREATHER IN THE ROCKER BOX.

Rich

BadVr4

in your picture, if that top square is the intake manifold, that catch can set up wont work. the vacuum source on the intake manifold that you show going to the catch can is going to show a leak since the catch can is vented and it will not run right. you either need to cap off the intake manifold vacuum source for the pcv, or run a non vented catch can, and even that I dont know if it will work right.

CutlassJim

Not to be a dick but it's blatantly obvious you have no idea how or why a PCV system works. Just to a quick Google search on the actual function of it and you will be able to figure it out in about 10 seconds. Plus then you know how your car actually works. WIN/WIN

minneSNOWta

I read the 4G63T PCV thread on Tuners and the diagram I drew up is very similar to "Setup #1 - Improved Factory Setup". Yes, I realize I was mistaken and had the lines reversed for IN and OUT. Also will be using sealed catch cans instead of the breather cans. Found a 3/8" brass fitting to tap and thread into the intake to solve my extra line problem too.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned