The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Lifter cleaning.

gvr4ever

I was going to spend the weekend cleaning my revised lifters that are ticking. I'm getting horrible phantom knock and it's killing the whole driving experience.

Would anything bad happen mixing them up? I've heard that they should go back where they came from, but is this really important? They are all the same and they "shouldn't" wear differently.

Any tips, ideals? This is my DD work car till I can find something else. It HAS to be done by Sunday.

dmj

Don't mix them up they each have their own wear patterns on the tips where the contact the rocker arms.

gvr4ever

Well, how am I suppose to clean them all at once and soak them over night and not get them mixed up? I've never actually seen the wear marks you are talking about. Even on the original ones.

gvr4ever

Can any of the old timers jump in? Are the wear marks real, and can these absolutely not be mixed, or is this just repeated misinformation?

CarRacer

I think keeping the lifters in order is an old habit from the V8 crew. Flat tappet camshafts do wear to a cam lobe and it's important to not move them. I think it's kosher for our cars to move them around as it's a overhead cam style. I did so on my car but kept the rocker arms in order as those are in contact with the cams.

atc250r

Staff member
I agree. I've had the lifters out of many 4G63's and never kept them in order. On the cam in block type motors the lifter rides on the camshaft and in that case you should keep them in order.

John

gvr4ever

Quoting CarRacer:
I think keeping the lifters in order is an old habit from the V8 crew. Flat tappet camshafts do wear to a cam lobe and it's important to not move them. I think it's kosher for our cars to move them around as it's a overhead cam style. I did so on my car but kept the rocker arms in order as those are in contact with the cams.

Ya, I knew push rods were suppose to stay in order. I'm just not seeing a wear mark on our engines for the lifters. I'll at least put them in different containers and try and keep banks of them in order and keep the intake and exhaust apart. A few might get mixed around.

gvr4ever

Exhaust cam lifter by the half moon piece. Any trick to getting it back in? So far, EEEEK. I'm trying the trick of spraying brake parts cleaner in the top of the the lifters and it seems to help out a lot. I soaked one set for a good part of the morning and it didn't seem to do a lot. Spray brake parts cleaner in them, and black stuff that looks like oil comes out, only it didn't come out before, and they move easier. A lot easier actually. I'm doing a combo of soaking and brake parts cleaner, but I only spend about half an hour on a set of them and then move on.

At the moment, I got stuck on getting a rocker arm back on.

Barnes

Did you use a paper clip to depress the internal one-way valve and flush/pump out the inside of the lifter?

gvr4ever

Yes, I'm pumping out the lifters. Fluid shoots out the little hole and out the big top one.

Q:

Can lifters some how break? I cleaned them all, and primed the oil pump and started it up and it sounded like a chain saw at first. After about 30 seconds, they calm down, but I think only 1 is causing a tick out of all of them. It's really loud and tripping the knock sensor. It's damned loud and not going away. I think I've narrowed it down to the exhaust side near the cams, so I guess I could try and clean them again tomorrow or something. Or I guess, maybe just order a few new ones and try to replace the worst ones. They are the revised ones. I shouldn't be having a problem.

Barnes

I think hypothetically the spring inside could break, and then the check valve would no longer work. Thus they would never pump up properly, and would never remove the excessive lash resulting in bad lifter tick.

It is also possible that the one offending lifter still has some sh*t gumming up the check valve keeping it from closing properly.

gvr4ever

Well, I didn't use the new valve cover gasket yet, just threw the old one on to test stuff. I guess I could try and clean a few on the exhaust side again tomorrow.

After looking at the V-faq again. I doubt I could mix them around and order just a few. I have the 2nd version that is shorter then the 3rd version.

bazeng

Clean, soak them in a bath of diesel overnight, if you can't do that. Spray carby cleaner into them or soak and bleed them.

Make sure the prime them with engine oil again afterwards.

I bleed them inside a tub of clean engine oil, pull them oil and bleed them on a cloth (like in the vid)

click

gvr4ever

I wish I had seen that video, but I did that anyway. It seemed like common since that the lifters needed to be able to move in and out before reinstalling them. I've read some of the nightmare stories about lifters bending valves, so I was aware of the issue.

I hope one is just dirty and I'll work on the 4 exhaust valve lifters closest to the cam and hope that fixes it.

gvr4ever

I think I've learned a little bit of a trick with these. After you bleed them, they should be really easy to push in, even without compressing the spring inside, because they are already empty. After putting them back in place, before you put the rocket back on, push on the top of the lifter very quickly. I'm actually hearing one tick very loudly, but the next one is quiet. I think I found the problem child, but I can't shut it up. It's soaking right now. I've used a whole can of carb cleaner and I'm running out of brake parts cleaner. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif At least most of them are very quiet. I just got to shut up what seems to just be one.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned