The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Leaking tranny, only so many options

maxash0775

I think Im an idiot. I thought there were only 2 seals to change on my trany when it started leaking after I did my clutch. I replaced both axel seals and still leaking. Isn't there another seal on the tranny to the transfer case?? After all, where else could it be leaking. Only started after I reinstalled tranny after clutch job. Thanks as always

gramkrakr89

If you've got gear lube getting inside the bell housing and dripping out between the trans and the engine block, your rear output shaft seal is most likely to blame - it seals the shaft that comes out of the bell housing and goes into the transfer case.

You might want to check all the seals on your transfer case as well... better safe than sorry.

maxash0775

This is the noob section so no laughing at the next question. You say rear seal and so have others but we say "rear seal", we are talking about the one on the side facing the block that goes into the transfer case correct?

gramkrakr89

"rear output shaft" seal - it's a seal for the "rear output shaft" - "rear" describes the output shaft, not the seal... most people just say "output shaft" - sorry for the confusion

The seal is located where the output shaft juts out into the bellhousing of the transmission, before it goes into the transfer case...

*see faded red arrow
img.php

It could possibly be this seal that is leaking, depending on where the fluid is coming from. This is the only other shaft seal on the transmission itself, so you should check it.

Pulling the transfer case and seeing if there is a puddle of gear lube just inside the bellhousing around the output shaft should tell the tale.

I hope this helps, and good luck with your leak!

maxash0775

A picture truly is worth a thousand words, thank you. Of that is it, do I have to pull whole tranny or can I service it another way?

pauleyman

It's possible but it sucks. You'll have to remove the shaft and the only way to do that is remove the end case and the vc. If you could manage getting the old seal out (not likely) you could do it with the shaft in place. These aren't the only seals either. Input shaft that goes into the clutch has a seal but it's inside the transmission. There are also two seals on the transfercase. You weren't real specific on where you thought the leak was so I mentioned those.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned