The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Just got 543/1000. Can someone explain the diff between 1g and 2g cars/parts?

EfiniX

I think 1g means model years between 88 and 94, and 2g means 95-99. That would make my 92 GVR4 a 1g, correct?

This just came up while I was shopping for intercoolers and I discovered that I wasn't quite sure how to respond to someone.

"You do realize this is an intercooler for a 1g, right? It could fit on your GVR4 if you did some modifications."

I thought, "isn't my car a 1g?"?

Last edited:

citymunky

No a Galant VR-4 is not 1g.

1g means 1st generation as in 1st generation Eclipse, Talon, Laser.

The E39A Galant VR-4 is based off the 6th generation Galant's. The 1st model year coming out in 1987, before the 1g DSM. 1G's borrowed their drivetrain from 6th Galant's.

Most 1g parts will fit on a Galant VR-4, but not all.

Last edited:

EfiniX

So when someone says 1g or 2g, they are talking about DMS model variants, not a GVR4.

Thanks, that was the missing piece for me.

citymunky

Yes they are talking about a DSM in which the a Galant VR-4 is not. DSM's were built in the US, Galant VR-4's were built in Japan and imported to the US.

But as I said most 1g DSM parts will work on a GVR4's.

turbowop

And intercoolers are one of those things that don't fit exactly like they would on a 1g DSM. It can be made to work, but modification will be required.

Vr4junkie

You should post up some pictures.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned