The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Is an EGT necessary, or just old sKoOl?

desant78

Hello Gvr4.org

In a recent discussion with a friend, he questioned my intention of installing an EGT and Wideband A/F on my car. It is a mild build, with a 14b and tuning to push it with a cyclone.

My question is, do you think he is right? His claim was that with a Wideband, you know if the motor is lean, so an EGT to tell you that info again, is quite pointless.

And to Focus on my point, is there a time where an EGT will tell you a condition that a Wideband will not? Example, A/F are fine, but EGT is way to high because......

Found a bunch of opinions online that didn't seem to help. The conclusion it's nice to have to have a basic heart beat of the car, and know when something bad has happened.

After reading the opinions about mods like bodykits, I trust this board more than ever /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

thanks in advance!

citymunky

A good WideBand(Innovate, NGK, HKS, AEM) is all you need.

EGT's are old school, they take to long to react to temp changes. Leave the EGT's to Diesal motors.

Last edited:

gvr4ever

If your wanting to tune on the edge, I can see an advantage. A little security never huts. Cheaper then a engine rebuild.

citymunky

Still no need to a P.O.S. EGT with stuff like this out.

30-2340_med.jpg

matt92vr4

I don't like them personally. I had one back in the day and it was nothing but trouble and a PITA.

raptorWagon

Hey! For some their goal is to fly with their eleventy billion horsepower and aerodynamic body parts, so they will probably need the EGT. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

4thStroke

We don't have eleventy billion horsepower and have zero aerodynamic body parts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

citymunky

I been working on Aircraft for 10 years now, yes they have EGT's, but they use gas turbine engines, and Jet fuel is a long the lines of being Diesel fuel. (We can use jet fuel to fill the diesel motor tugs, etc. If can't get diesel fuel) .

Once again EGT is not needed when you have a good wideband.

DR1665

Crap. So much for selling that NIB Defi EGT. (sigh)

Then again, considering I plan to spend hours on end running wide open, maybe it's not a bad idea after all.

BluFalcon

I work in a turbine engine test cell, testing helicopter engines. One of the most important parameters we monitor during startup and while operating, is temperature. Yeah, it's not a airliner that's operating at 30K feet, but I like to have as much info as possible while I'm doing stupid things in a car. Do you really need an EGT gauge? Probably not, considering how easy it is to get a good wideband these days. However, if I had one available and the room for it in the car, I would go ahead and install it. It's not going to hurt anything to have too much info. As a matter of fact, I have a nice 60mm Greddy Peak Hold EGT gauge from my old Talon, that would look really nice in the GVR-4. Maybe I'll install it this weekend. I like fiddly bits.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned