The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

intercooler suggestions

Vr4junkie

Ok looking for an intercooler and I checked out the ets one but that's way out of my price range I seen some mitsimoto intecoolers for a decent price my price range is 300 what would u guys recommend not trying to.get a cheap ebay one also wat size would be good?

Diego

Ebay ( Godzilla whatever ) intercoolers have a great fin pitch from what I've been told from an intercooler salesman. It's not the size of the core its the amount of fin pitch that cools.. you could have a intercooler the size of your hood, but if you have very few fins per inch, the amount of cooling it does will not be beneficial.

As is stands, I went from an AMS built IC to a Godzilla whateverthefuckitscalled IC..

My 2psi

turbohf

Quoting 4thStroke:
thedsmguy has my old ETS FMIC for sale. PM him and see if you guys can work something out.

exactly. find a nice used intercooler. i scored an old spearco cored intercooler for deals also.

Vr4junkie

That's true I might just do that what are intercooler brands that you guys would recommend that are in that price range ?

alansupra94

Quoting Diego:
Ebay ( Godzilla whatever ) intercoolers have a great fin pitch from what I've been told from an intercooler salesman. It's not the size of the core its the amount of fin pitch that cools.. you could have a intercooler the size of your hood, but if you have very few fins per inch, the amount of cooling it does will not be beneficial.

As is stands, I went from an AMS built IC to a Godzilla whateverthefuckitscalled IC..

My 2psi

Just be careful with those ebay intercoolers, I have seen some really shitty welds.

That being said, I always just weld my own using precision cores since all the race/drag teams use them. Excellent fin density, cooling properties and quality for a really cheap price.

524of1000

Broxma has an awesome one for sale, custom Bell Intercooler made for the Galant. I run a treadstone intercooler with custom pipes. It's a nice core, cast end tanks and the fin density is great.

Vr4junkie

Hey by any chance do you have the link or size of the tread stone intercooler they seem perrty nice and priced reasonable

DR1665

You might be able to pick up a stock SRT4 FMIC for under $100. Spend another $200 on piping and couplers?

That's my plan.

524of1000

Quoting vr4junkie:
Hey by any chance do you have the link or size of the tread stone intercooler they seem perrty nice and priced reasonable

click

speedyvr4

if your setup isn't going to be too crazy, i would definatly opt for an an oem evo core,srt4 core or a good used brand name one. the ebay cores aren't bad imho at least on low hp aplications. I have a old school starion core with modded endtanks and it works fine for my small 16g.my 2.

broxma

Quoting DR1665:
You might be able to pick up a stock SRT4 FMIC for under $100. Spend another $200 on piping and couplers?

That's my plan.

I know this is an inexpensive way to go. A lot of people do something like this or an Evo 8/9 Intercooler, but I don't actually like this idea for several reasons.

First, plans change. We start with the idea we want a 300 HP DD GVR4 and then suddenly we are balls deep in a fully forged motor build. Getting a setup like this (SRT4/EVO IC) is damn near a minimum requirement and any car north of 300 HP is going to outgrow that setup.

Second, Cost. It's not that cost effective. A good used name brand setup is only a few hundred more and has much more potential. Instead of buying the same thing twice, just buy the correct one the first time.

Third, Quality. Honestly, the difference between the aftermarket bar/plate cores and the OEM tube/fin cores is significant. On my Evo, with no change to the map, I picked up 25hp/37ft/lb's just swapping to a Bar/plate FMIC over the stocker. This was only at around 275 WHP on a Dyno Dynamics brake dyno. the power levels were within the efficiency range of the stock IC, but the custom aftermarket core I put on, was far superior. With more tuning, at the same boost, I could have added more timing and got more power out of it. Yes this is an anecdotal bit of evidence, but can be verified time and time again if need be.

Short end of things, save the cash and get the one you need for your final build, not the build you have at the moment.

And I am not picking on your DR. Your comment just provided opportunity, so thank you.

/brox

Vr4junkie

@ 524of1000 do you have any pics of your treadstone intercooler and which model did you get.....@ broxma I finally.checked out checked out you r intercooler that thing is awesome but a little off my budget

524of1000

Before I had the pipes welded, modified the front bumper and moved the plates. I think it's am older version of the t8...

Vr4junkie

Thanks for the pics so one of theses 2 should do the job click click

galantrevolution

I have a mushimoto intercooler and I love it since is very light weight, and I just trim the bumper support to make it fit.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned