The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How To Clean a Head Gasket Surface

BogusSVO

How to Clean a Head Gasket Surface

There are many ways to clean a head gasket surface.
This is just one way, and it is the method I prefer.

I do not like the use of “rol-locs” for cleaning a head gasket surface, for block or head.
Cast iron or aluminum.

A rol-loc can an will “wave” a gasket surface when used improperly. In most cases it is.

So do not use this!!
028.jpg

What I prefer to use is a hard back body board with 80-100 grit sand paper.
014.jpg

015.jpg

The reason to do it this way is….
1) more coverage area
2) will not “wave” the gasket surface
3) will show low spots in the gasket surface

Use moderate pressure when going over the gasket surface.
016.jpg

and go at different angles, using long steady strokes
018.jpg

and

017.jpg

You want to go over it enough to just “shine” the surface and remove all the old traces of the head gasket but not remove the metal of the block or head.

You should end up with something like this.
019.jpg

Now the surface is prepped so the head can be checked for warp and other imperfections.

Notice the dark marks above the exhaust valves and around the water ports, this shows the low areas and fire rings.

This head needs to be surfaced so to hold a head gasket properly.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned