The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Eye bolts for installing a harness

GSTwithPSI

Looking for the correct size of the eye bolts needed to mount the lap belt for a 4pt harness. I saw in a thread that the eye bolt was M12 x 1.25, but I'm not sure if that's right. I do know from extensive searching last night online, an eye bolt in that size is impossible to find.

Can someone tell me the size of the seat belt bolts, or the best place to secure the lap belt using eye bolts? I looked at a few threads, but didn't find anything super definitive as to where the eye bolts were inserted, or what size they were (except for where M12x1.25 was noted). click click

Thanx

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
As strange as this may sound, at least in the past many seat belt bolts even for Japanese cars are standard thread. 7/16ths fine thread if I recall correctly. 7/16-20.

click

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
My response is for the size of the bolt that hold the stock seat belts.

GSTwithPSI

Iceman,

I was reading that regardless of manufacturer, 7/16ths fine thread was standard for safety belt hardware. Not sure how true that is though. If I was less of a lazy ass, I'd get off mine and derp down to the garage and start taking sh*t apart to see. I was hoping someone had the answer on hand though.

Mark looks to have already dealt with this from the other thread I read. I'm waiting to see what he comes up with. He's too busy out driving his new Raptor to dick with petty Galant sh*t anymore tho /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

these.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Those sparco ones look to be for drilling your own hole, with the nut and washer.

I have put eyebolts in the stock body nuts in racecars numerous times before, as that is what they are for, no?

The Galant belts are a bit weird with the mouse belts and all.

GSTwithPSI

Well, I'm looking to retain my stock belts as well. I'm guessing there is another hole down there somewhere to thread the eye bolt into. Least, that's what I'm hoping.

The lap belt is the only iffy part. They can only mount to eye bolts via the clippy or whatever the hell is on the end of the belt. I got the set G had for sale. You can see in the pic they have the eyelet clips on the lap belts:

sabelt_torino.jpg

turbowop

I'm pretty sure those Sparco eyebolts are exactly what I have. See pic below. And yeah, the Raptor is a blast. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

GSTwithPSI

Thanks for digging those up, Mark. Are those the ones you have installed in the pics I reposted above. Also, any idea what size/thread pitch those might be?

turbowop

I couldn't tell you the pitch or size. But the threads look pretty fine. I'd need to do some math or use a thread pitch dealie to figure it out.

Last edited:

slugsgomoo

my sparcos came with a slightly different bracket, that you put a regular bolt through (doesn't have the caribiner style clip on). I might have a few spares, but I don't know anymore

GSTwithPSI

Ok guys, so after some trial and error I figured this out.

First, you'll need some 7/16" UNF eye bolts and grade 8 hardware.
WP_002071.jpg

You'll need to mount the eye bolts on either side of the seat. For the console side, you'll need to mount the eye bolt near the rear of the console. It's back a bit far, but you need to mount it here so it doesn't impede the seat's ability to slide all the way back. Remove the console screws, and then remove the 7/16" bolt securing the rear of the shoulder belt ratchet assembly. It's a standard bolt, and you'll need a 11/16" wrench to remove it IIRC. Once that bolt is out, you can install the eye bolt directly in the hole. You'll need to also drill a hole in the console for the eye bolt to stick out, obviously.
WP_002072.jpg

WP_002073.jpg

WP_002081.jpg

WP_002083.jpg

WP_002086.jpg

Now, you'll need to mount the door side eye bolts. The way I found worked best for this was to remove the small push clip that holds the belt cover in place and drill it out large enough to slide the eye bolt in. Then, you basically put a nut and lock washer on the back side of the belt mech bracket, and tighten the eye bolt down. Thread the bolt through the belt cover as well, as it will now be responsible for holding it in place.
WP_002076.jpg

WP_002077.jpg

WP_002078.jpg

WP_002079.jpg

WP_002080.jpg

WP_002090.jpg

For the back, you'll need a set of 90* L brackets. The hold down brackets need to mount in line with the angle of the belts, so you can't mount them properly without the brackets. Either that, or you need some type of bar around shoulder height to bolt them to.
WP_002126.jpg

WP_002127.jpg

WP_002128.jpg

WP_002130.jpg

WP_002132.jpg

Now, just clip in your belts.
WP_002096.jpg

WP_002098.jpg

WP_002093.jpg

WP_002057.jpg

WP_002094.jpg

WP_002095.jpg

Last edited:

G

Staff member
That's sweet man, i didn't know they were 7/16" unf. I figured they would be metric. I guess it makes sense from a safety & strength standpoint so people don't use the wrong hardware. Those harnesses look great!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned