The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Electric Power Steering Pump

DailyDSM

FP3052 is BB and does not respond well to high oil pressure. In fact, FP will only warranty their FP30 turbos if the oil feed is from the head. And the FD doesn't have an engine but it will sometime in the next few months (LS1).

bazeng

Looks good!

But I'd be concerned with the HEATER HOSE used to carry the PS fluid.
ATF / PS fluid tends to swell rubber quite easily.

DailyDSM

Yeah, I was using that to test fitment of that diameter. I'm still looking for the right hose but its on a long list of things to do.

slugsgomoo

also i've read about some guys having trouble with electric PS pumps blowing AN lines with non-crimp fittings. If you have an issue there, go to an airplane shop out near a small plane airport and they can usually make one up for you pretty cheap.

Rausch

You could probably have them made up at an A/C shop, if you could find the right ends as well. Good advice above, in any case.

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting slugsgomoo:
also i've read about some guys having trouble with electric PS pumps blowing AN lines with non-crimp fittings. If you have an issue there, go to an airplane shop out near a small plane airport and they can usually make one up for you pretty cheap.

I definitely wouldn't have expected that. Aren't they designed to take over 1000 psi? or is that just the hose itself?

Man, this is enticing! What year car did that pump come from? Most newer cars must be going to electric pumps I'd assume.

DailyDSM

Its from a 2nd gen MR2 (early to mid 90s). Should be pretty easy to find in junkyards.

-Tim

slugsgomoo

Quoting jepherz:
Quoting slugsgomoo:

I definitely wouldn't have expected that. Aren't they designed to take over 1000 psi? or is that just the hose itself?

Man, this is enticing! What year car did that pump come from? Most newer cars must be going to electric pumps I'd assume.

I believe it's an issue with the fitting & hose separating, not that the hose or fittings themselves are not up to the pressure (most are rated at 1200-2000 psi). Apparently the crimp fittings are harder to use and less common /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

gtluke

my local parts store can make high pressure hoses, any competent shop should have the crimping machine. you might have to supply the ends for the hose since a lot of times they don't have the right size metric fittings.
i busted the a/c hose on my galant last year and i had a new one made with my old ends for like $15

THEKID

does anybody know what other cars have electric power steering pumps

91GSR

i could be mistaken, but i think my car has an elec PS pump. i have a little button in my car that can change how stiff my steering is, and i think its electric. what i wonder tho is its still belt driven...how does this button change that. seeins how (belt driven = not electric) right?

strokin4dr

I believe that the button you speak of is for "sport steering". It will make the steering more of less responsive with the press of the button. I have no experiance with it though because VR4s did not come with it, but it is definately not electric power steering.

Last edited:

misterfixit

galants with the ecs suspension have a steering wheel position (more a rate)sensor on the switches. Infact the ring that cancels the indicator is the very same trigger ring for said sensor. the ecs cars have a led and photointerruptor (like old syle computer mice.

rich

Quoting DarkDevilMMM:
lol, the electric PS pump project again... I have attempted to try it out couple times already. the problem I run into is that I can never find a good used setup from another car that worth the time and money. it is either too many things to mod for the whole system to work, since some of them use position sensor or speed sensor to run the pump according to the angle you turn the wheel and the speed of your car. or the pump setup is way too expensive, e.g. Audi's, which is not worth to save the little power that the pump rob. but this will be a great project to free up some space for IC pipes and external wastegate. hope you succeed

misterfixit

try the ms21902 fitting ends (flareless) easy to swage, redily available and better than the flare type fittings. for hose just use hydaulig that's compatible with mineral oil.. if talking to aeo guys to make the hoses (mil-h-5606 or mil-prf-83282, both regular mineral hydraulic oils.) you won't have rubber compatibility issues if specing to those oils.

Rich

THEKID

just wondering if you have had a chance to test the steering. and if so was the motor and trans installed? i am looking into electric steering for my project a friend that works with Toyota's. and his thought on using the mr2 pump is that once the drive train is installed in the car it will be allot of weight on the rack thus causing more stress on the pump and burn it out. the reason it is ok for the mr2 the power train is in the rear of the car. just a thought. but i would like to know if this ides works? if not i am thinking of trying the pump out of a mini cooper. they are a front mounted drive train and those cars are heavy as hell even without the drive train installed. so my thought is that this might be a more suited setup for our cars. only downside is the pumps are pricy. the best i have found one for is around $350.00

thanks

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned