The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

DSM parts interchangeability

92_talon_awd

Hey everyone, newbie to the GVR4 game but old DSM player. I'm very aware that they are two different cars but what parts are interchangeable? As I begin my performance build I want to get a few things out of the way first. Starting with a brand new radiator and hoses. Will hoses and a radiator for a 1g fit the VR4 fine? I also want to use a stock style radiator instead of an aluminum one for that stock look. Wanting input on that as I think it will be fine but wanting to make sure. Thanks all

LIV4PSI

Radiators are different sizes, I think you can make DSM hoses work. I know the lower one definitely will

Last edited:

92_talon_awd

Ok, thanks for the help. I'm going to be ordering some hoses off the internet, just wanted to make sure. I reconize your sig from a thread about the shootout, you can count me and #29 in!

Last edited:

coyotes

click

this is a direct replacement Koyo radiator. I just bought one for my galant and the fit was perfect. Great price too.

Part # is c0233

92_talon_awd

I ordered a radiator from Advance Auto, got it for like 85 bucks shipped to my door. I was gonna get some silicone hoses but after reading a little, decided on the gates rubber ones.

marvinmadman

That radiator from advanced auto has a retarded petcock. Find you a 1/8" NPT valve to swap into that drain hole. I personally tapped it a little before and put some sealant with an air compressor drain valve.

92_talon_awd

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a go. I always wondered why the drain plugs on radiators are so ridiculous when I used to work at a dealership.

marvinmadman

The petcock is a plastic bolt with a rubber flat washer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif As soon as you tighten it, the washer spits out the side.

Last edited:

Wookalar

If you end up eliminating 4ws and replacing your front rack, you can switch to a 1g dsm awd rack. The dsm rack does not have the fluid ports for the rear lines, much cleaner.

You will need one of the dsm rack bushings though, it has less holes in it due the dsm having no rear wheel steering lines running to the back of the car (or no hole in it, I cant recall right now but it is clearly different than the gvr4 bushing).

92_talon_awd

Thanks for the information. What is the reason behind eliminating the 4WS system? Is it because of leaks and weight? Mine is still in great shape with no leaks that I can see so far.

raptorWagon

Leaks, rust that cause leaks, parts are NLA, only activates over 30mph anyway, so not ideal for racing like Autocross. Don't really save much weight removing it all.

Basically all the 4WS does is force the toe of the rear wheels 1.5* degrees in either direction, a 1G DSM "active toe" is essentially Passive 4WS when related to the GVR4, we just have an added rack that forces the movement of the toe at speeds of 30mph+ only. Subframes, control arms, etc all interchange. Driveshafts do not, because well the GVR4 is a Sedan and a DSM is a two-door hatch, (center section is longer on a VR4).

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned