The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Did a compression test tonight on 192.

Boostdtalon

Well the car does not smoke at first start, if it does it's very light. It normally doesn't start smoking till after I start driving. Call me paranoid but I would hate to put the new head on my car just for it to continue smoking.

Something else I was looking at. Going off the VFAQ site, the service limit is different between the GVR4 and a T/E/L. Now this is not the original engine. It was swapped in from a Laser.

turbowop

Quoting fuel:
A good indication of weak valve stem seals is smoke on first startup after sitting for a while as oil weeps down onto the back of the valve head.

Not really. In our engines the valve seals sit above the floor of the head, so the oil doesn't seep by when the car isn't running. It's mostly an issue at idle or during decel due to oil being slung around from windage and vacuum sucking it in past the seals. FWIW, back when I had really bad valve seal issues, it never smoked right at startup. Only after periods of idling.

So what does it mean when you get that big puff of white/grey smoke at startup that everyone thinks is the issue?

thecman02

Yeah when my valve seals were smoked. Idling was horrendous. I didn't get any smoke at start up either. The white smoke could just be condensation, and grey can be a mix of hydrocarbon (rich) and condensation burning. Just being optimistic though.

If your smoking problem isn't consistent I'd make sure your pcv setup was working correctly.

Last edited:

Quoting turbowop:
I've actually never seen a 4g63 do that. Unless it was smoke from a super rich start up.

Guess its a super rich startup or condensation I guess, it usually does it if the car has been sitting for a while goes
away after a few seconds though and yes I just replaced the pcv valve with a new one from mitsubishi. I may add one of
those inline check valves and a saikou michi catch can soon.
Thanks....

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned