The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Cutting holes for jdm vents, need help measuring where to cut.

JamesFoster

Hey guys, I'm gonna cut holes in my spare hood for some jdm vents I bought, then send it to paint. I need some help finding where exactly to place them, so they're in the correct location.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
James

Wookalar

If you do some searching there is a diagram posted here or on the intrawebz showing measurements.

Boom, first search I found it.

click

click

Gotta love the powa of the internet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chad989of2000

I was just wondering about those measurements myself, good find and good post to the OP.

Chad989of2000

You should strongly consider documenting the process with pics along the way. I would be interested in seeing how it goes.

fuel

if you're going to cut up a non-Evo hood why not fit Evo 1-3 vents instead? you're going to run into problems with the frame support anyway regardless which vents you end up fitting so may as well go for the bigger vents.

Chad989of2000

My only concern would be keeping the Galant aesthetics. Sure it's not a factory vented hood (and the underside will convey that) but at least the outside would look stock if Galant vents are used. I agree though, as larger vents would increase the cooling function. I personally prefer keeping the look leaning towards stock.

turbowop

Even with GVR4 vents, it won't really look stock, IMO. The OE JDM hood has recesses where the vents sit. The USDM hood doesn't have that. I would go the Evo3 route as well, but then you'd have to source the vents. Use what you got if you already have the GVR4 vents. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chad989of2000

Totally forgot about the recesses, that's a solid point. I got a great deal on some Galant vents, so I'll go with those when I'm ready for it (pretty far down on the mod list). Wish our hoods were lighter though, they have some serious weight to them.

coyotes

Chop out some weight by using the Evo vents. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chad989of2000

"Chop out some weight by using the Evo vents. "

Chop out some weight by switching to a Miata. Fixed.

GSX_TC

Should just got an oem steel vented Jdm hood, would of been easier.

GSX_TC

Somebody must of bought the one i saw on eBay the past few months then. It was a black one.

JamesFoster

Quoting turbowop:
I'm pretty sure that's what he wanted to do, but has had trouble trying to source one.

Exactly. This will do for now until I come across one.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned