The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

clutch wont disengage?

Diego

Got to finally put the key in my ignition after a short 4 month stint on JackStands...

A little background to catch you up to speed.....

I installed a CM FX100 and and drove it fine, no grabs or smells or grinds.
I have also done the skate bearing upgrade while in there.

Then I had a cv shaft failure that ate my CV and Oil pan so she sat.

FastForward to Saturday, got everything plumbed up, everything filled with fluid, and I set off.

First notion of a problem was, clutch peddle felt "soft" but I drove it as long as I didn't hear grinding. While driving I started to smell clutch... so I pulled back to the garage and let it idle, while idling I could hear(or it sounded like) the clutch was still spinning.... I tried to get under her and bleed the clutch but the bleeder wouldn't open.

My question is, what do you think is my problem? Would I really have to pull the tranny, even though it was fine before I let her rest and now I have a issue?

I'm super limited on funds as I have been house/apt hunting and would like to score a good place and not sacrifice anything less, so I need to know if anyone has a few remedies, I will PantherPiss the bleeder later when off. But any help is gratefully appreciated.

rgeier11

Have someone pump the clutch while you check out the slave cylinder for movement. Also, check that the transmission-to-engine bolts are nice and tight.

Diego

All bolts are tight, ill see if the slave is dead...... just feels gummy... yeah that's a better word for it.

mitsuturbo

You got ALL the bolts back in the transmission, right?

The little one that goes through the ear on the back of the block, with a 12mm head (and a 10 stamped on it) gets left out a lot and the result is a cracked bellhousing. 1411 came to me in such condition, as did 555. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I have also seen people try and put a bolt with 4 on the head in there, and it snapped in two. Worse than not having the bolt at all, because the tranny has to come off to extract the rest of the bolt!

Last edited:

Diego

All bolts are there... like stated previously, car drove fine before I parked it ^^^ up there in my long speel. Car drove fine then got parked due to cracked oil pan, and replaced the cv, got in after the repair and it felt gummy and like the clutch is dragging while in gear.

I didn't touch the trans while it was down. I should be able to get back in and expect the trans to still be fine. I don't even have 100 miles on the trans and clutch setup. All way fine, the clutch was super stiff as I would expect from a non stock clutch and pressure plate.

mitsuturbo

See, well that's the issue when a bolt gets left out, just FYI. It will be fine for a while... until the bellhousing cracks.

As long as you got all the bolts in, you know it's not that.
That being said, i'd bleed the clutch and check the master/slave/lines for leaks.
The only thing left to check beyond that, would be to pull up on your clutch pedal. If it comes up an inch or two when you pull on it, the pedal assembly could have some undue play in it and need repair.

Definitely sounds like a clutch master or slave, did the broken CV manage to mess up a clutch hardline? How long did it sit? Was the fluid skanky?

Terry Posten

Did you replace the clutch fork and pivot ball?

My cousins car felt mushy and shifted poorly most of the time. It was a broken pivot ball.

And that just snaps.

Remove the slave and the rubber boot on the tranny and make sure the fork and ball is good.

G

Staff member

Diego

G- thanks for the post.... didn't help me much on what I'm dealin... but I can use that down the road.

Terry- I'm in colorado atm, and will check the slave and the master.

Namelessmanicantthinkofname- hahaha, uhm it sat 4~5 months, the cv didn't touch clutch lines or anythinglike the sort, it just ate a hole in my pan.

Thanks for the constant help guys, great forum and better people. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

G

Staff member
Willing to bet it's # 3 described in my post.

Diego

Willing to say sorry, its not a problem to get in gear.

It just feels gummy.. I had my Wyotech friend check it out while I was away and its the MSC... rod must have extended too far and the piston stopped working.... o well just buy one.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned