The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Car audio experts looking for advice.

DR1665

I've been down those roads before. Having had twin 12"s and a single 10" bandpass at different times in the Talon, I think my next sub choice will be something like the Infinity Basslink. A buddy has one in his Eclipse and it's got all the bass I need without advertising to the thugs and hooligans that my windows are worth breaking. :p

h108BassLinkp.jpg

EDIT:
Michael! Fix that tag! Close the URL with a ]!

Last edited:

boostedinaz

Finished up the whole project today. Got the wires all tucked away and finished the color conversion. The trunk looks 1000 times better in black and it is now nice and clean.

My favorite part is the amp. I love how it looks like it is floating in the trunk. Big thanks again to Kent (kcpaz) for helping me with the amp bracket.

Quote:
I've got all Boston speakers from eBay in my car:

5.25" components in front (tweeters mounted in the stock dash grills), and 6.5" 3-ways in the stock location on the rear deck under the stock covers. Add a 12" Kicker tube all being run off a 5-channel "refurbished" Kicker amp mounted on the trunk floor and my 10 year old Alpine deck spinning the discs. It sounds great.

However, what can I use to replace this huge fracking bass tube? It's too damn big and was bought 9 years ago because tube-style subs don't need lots of power to sound good. Now that I've got a decent amp, I'd like to downsize the bass box so the trunk is somewhat useable.

Is that a kicker substation? what is that thing?

Quoting boostedinaz:
I decided to make the bottom of the trunk falt with a new floor piece, since I don't use the spare.
The new flat flooring I made. It is till just a rough fit I need to smooth out the edges and of course cover it with fabric.

Resurrecting this thread from the dead. I made a one piece flat floor like yours, cut to fit the contours of the trunk walls, but it wouldn't fit through the trunk opening. How'd you get yours in there? I thought of cutting it into several pieces and then building a framework inside the trunk to tie it all back together, but that seemed like way too much junk in the trunk, lol.

boostedinaz

It is only 1/8 inch stock so it is pretty flexible.

I cut each side (by the rear fenders) about 2 inches short. When I put it in I had to get it to curve so it would fit. I made up for that shortage by leaving extra material on the side covers by the rear fenders. Thos go under the rear cover so it look seamless.

Hmm, I was using plywood, so I think that explains it, lol. Plus I don't have the trunk side panels in the car anymore so I cut it to full width. I'll have to look for something more flexible. Thanks for the quick response!

CP

What are the stock speaker sizes, dash, doors and rear deck? 3.5" in-dash and 5.25" for the rest?

boostedinaz

^^^^

Yup.

boostedinaz

You can actually fit a 6" speaker if you mess with the door bucket or the rear deck a bit.

CP

I know, but I'm putting stock sized speakers back in the car.

DailyDSM

I can double check but I'm almost positive I put 6" Kicker speakers in the rear with no modifications and perfect fitment. The front sizes are correct though.

gvr4ever

I'm not a huge fan of over priced big box brand name speakers. Too much of the cost goes in to advertising.

Here are some hi-vi speakers. click

cOmpressor

Michael, did you use anything to "fill" the gaping hole in under the new trunk floor? I did the same thing before and having a pocket under the floor really killed my bass. I didn't fill mine, just ended up cutting the flooring back to open the hole half way. Gave my sub a cubic foot or more to resonate and gave me back that lost bass.

boostedinaz

I did not. I was thinking about it and actually had an idea for that.

I was going to get some thin plastic or tin foil and cover the space for the spare tire. I was then going to fill it with expanding foam and trim it to be level with the trunk floor once it hardered. The foil would keep it from sticking so I could pull it up and out. Then I could paint it and place it back in with a perfect fit.

In all honesty I wasn't looking of a ton of bass o going that far wasn't a big deal for me, plus I use that as some extra storage.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned