The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Broken transmission mounting tab fix?

AWDPower

Long time no post. My GVR4 has been mothballed for most of the last decade, and I'm finaly getting around to putting it back togther. I got the car for a steal years ago. I bought it from a tow yard that didn't know what it was for pretty much scrap value. It had been abandoned and towed. It appeared that the previous owner had recently the engine replaced. The moron who put in the new engine saved time by leaving out bolts here and there. Apparently, the tansmission mount bolts were important. Without them, the transmision broke off from the engine, hence the abandonment. The problem is that it also broke off the mounting ear on the exhaust side of the engine block. I drove the car for a couple years like that, but the car had only mild mods and I didn't launch it. I plan on putting the car back on the road with an extra couple hundred horsepower. I know that it will break the transmission if not fixed. I checked into having it welded, but I understand that cast iron is very diffucult to weld, would weaken the block, and would likely result in other cracks. My plan is to weld a pad onto the side of the front motor mount to replace the ear. I'm pretty good at fabricating, but this is a lot more difficult then it sounds. I'm also being sure to incorporate the dowel. I realize that the best solution is to swap the block. But the engine is in terriffic shape otherwise, great compression and looks new inside. I'd like to save it. Has anyone done this before? Does anyone sell a motor mount already adapted for the repair? I've heard that it's not uncommon for an incorrectly installed tranny to damage the block. Any feedback on my planned fix?

Thank you,

Jason K.

Barnes

Nate Crisman on the board here had a very similar problem on an engine he bought a while ago. I know he had it rewelded and I remember it working fine. However I don't know how it held up long term. You might wanna send him a PM.

mitsuturbo

I've done this fix, but on the back side of the engine. I had no ill effects from it. I just took 1/4" thick steel plate and put a hole through it. Used spacers to get it in the right spot, and welded it to the motor mount. Ran fine for a couple years at least. Never had a problem with that bolt/mount.

dsmtalontsi95

^We did that to a buddy of mines car. Worked just fine.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I also had a broken mounting ear (lower right viewed from flywheel side) of the block welded back on. working fine so far with 1000 miles. Just need a good welder who knows cast iron (my guy is a nuke industry welder).

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned