The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

breakup in neutral and when driving

kerry92gvr4

Ok so I will start by saying what is done to the car. It is a 90 Galant GSX that has been swapped with a turbo engine. I used a full VR-4 harness when I did the swap. It has a wally 255 (as of today) MHI Evo3 16G, nice front mount intercooler (BOV recirculated) FP manifold, 3inch turbo back and i think that's it. Other than that it has stock ecu,injectors, maf, on stock boost.

Now the car breaks up around 4,800-5,000 rpm's just sitting with the car in neutral, but if i rev it slowly i can pull it to redline. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

driving almost the same thing happens, I can give it roughly 3/4 throttle and it will pull just fine with no issues. I i try to go WOT it will sputter and breakup , but fight trough it and the rpm's will start to climb again.

it is driving me crazy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif me and Paul have been throwing different things at it trying to figure it out. we even through his V3 in and messed with that to see if we could see something. the only thing we learned from throwing link in it is that if we take away fuel we can almost get the issue to go away.

so far we have tried

cas
coil pack
igniter
injector resistor box
plug wires
ecu
maf
boost leak test

hoping to get it running right before there is a lot of snow on hood, i want to go play. Please help
and Paul if i forgot something please post anything else we have tried or any additional info i forgot.

Last edited:

ktmrider

Almost sounds like Open/Closed Loop ECU operation.

What O2 sensor are you running? Did you log O2 response with Link? And yes what plug heat range and gap?

James

I've been having a similar problem. But it doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes I will being giving it some gas and it breaks up super bad at 3k. If I turn off the car and turn it back on the problem goes away. Comes back as it pleases

kerry92gvr4

just got off work, i will pull plugs and check them out and also check the gap. the o2 is just a ntk stock replacement and from what we watched on the link it works fine (cycles up and down)

kerry92gvr4

ok so now i went and started my car this morning and it started and idled like normal, but then the idle dropped and the car would barley stay running. Then i hit the gas and the car falls flat on its face and dies? any ideas? possibly linked to my issue i have been having? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned