The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Bottom of my rear shocks came apart.

beaner

So I was in the process of installing my Evo 8/9 suspension, and while taking the stock rear shocks off, the rubber part stayed on the hub and didn't come off with the shock. So now I'm not sure what to do. I cannot use the bottom of the stock shock to weld onto the Evo shock. Can you buy just the bottom part of a shock, or do they make aftermarket inserts for that? My only other option is finding some used shocks locally to cut up, or abandon the project and buy some new shocks. Any ideas?

belize1334

You've got two problems really... You no longer have a donor for your evo shock mount, and you now have a seized bearing stuck on your rear trailing arm. For the first problem I'd say you'll have to source another used shock to cut the bottom from since you need not just the sleeve and bushing but also the metal ring to weld into the evo shock. The second problem is a bit trickier... how do you get that thing off? I'd use a good sharp blade to try to cut the bushing away from the sleeve and then get a bearing puller and see if you can get the sleeve off of the trailing arm rod. Otherwise you may just try getting a pry-bar behind it but with the rest of the shock gone it's hard to find purchase to pry against.

BrandonEchols

I have a question in the same vein...will the rear mount from any DSM work?
I know the bushing for the FWDs have a smaller mounting hole, but is the outer diameter of the mount the same?
i.e - could you cut the mount off the FWD DSM strut, and weld it to the Evo strut, and then put in a new, AWD bushing?

turbofonz

I've had luck with some heat then a pipe wrench to spin that collar free enough.

Romanova

Happened to me. No amount of persuasion could get it to budge. Had to use a different trailing arm.
GL!

beaner

Does the rubber on the bottom of the shock allow it to pivot a little? Thinking of 'boxing' it in, basically making solid lower mounts like I made my solid motor mounts. Also thinking of using some ball joint Could it work?

Edit - also thinking of using ball joint rod ends from mcmaster. 1 2

Last edited:

jepherz

Staff member
You'd need something, as that bushing should move when adjusting camber, and every time the strut moves, right?

For those of you that have problems removing this piece, if you have an air compressor, you should have an air chisel handy. They are cheap and I've used mine for tons of stuff on a bunch of cars.

curtis

Only problem with a pillow mount ball or rod end is that the shaft on the housing has a taper on it.

I've had that happen where the inner bushing is rusted to the shaft. You need to get a cutting torch and heat that sucker up. If you have a pipe wrench, use it to crank on that sucker until it breaks free and then work it off.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned