The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

battery suggestions

BoostedAWD91

i am deciding which battery to purchase to put in the trunk. I have had tons of luck with Optima red top batteries and think they are amazing but i also really like the Odyssey PC 925 Battery click Anyone have this Odyssey battery?

Last edited:

Optima red top for sure IMO.
On the stereo aspect, you can buy a capacitor(lightning cap, ect...) for the power usage of your amp/stereo. Your alt. will keep it charged.

turbowop

I don't think the RedTop Optimas are what they once were. I had one that lasted over eight years and thought they were the greatest battery out there. Now, I've had to replace two in the past couple years that were fairly new. Most recently the one in 1051. That battery sat in the trunk for a few months during the winter, not even connected to the car, which was also garaged so it never got below freezing. Hooked it back up a few weeks ago, nothing. Had Autozone charge and load test it. It failed. Luckily, I was only two years (and only like 3500 miles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif ) into my three year warranty and they replaced it free of charge.

RayH

Optima tip: I was able to revive an Optima by hooking it up in parallel to a charged battery and then re-charging both together with a charger. Something about Optimas where their voltage can drop below what most chargers consider rechargeable so you need to hook them up in parallel with a good battery to fool the charger into thinking it can be charged. May not work all the time but it's worth a try.

turbowop

I dunno. The one that's similar in size to the factory battery? I just know it's around 800 CCA and has a red top. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

BoostedAWD91

Was thinking of the Odyssey PC 925 battery but it only has a 6 month warantee on it which kinda makes me wanna stay with Optima

turbofonz

I've been using an OE honda civic battery in my 1g for a while now. It's much smaller than stock mitsu, something like 330CCA and works very well. I've gone weeks without starting the car in dead of winter and it'll fire up instantly. I want to grab one for my galant.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned