The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Bad rings or something else?

14of2000

Hey guys,

So trying to figure our exactly what's going on with my car. When I drive my car and get into boost, I let off the gas a puff of smoke comes out of the exhaust for about 2 to 5 seconds then goes away. If I drive it and don't boost it, it does not smoke at all. I did a compression test and the numbers were 150 139 105 130 so kinda all over the place.

I pulled my turbo and exhaust manifold and I found oil leaking from the #1 exhaust port, it looks to me like it's coming from the valve up top. So I could be valve stem seals. However that would not make my compression numbers what they are. I also did a leak down test on cylinder 1 and air is coming out of the valve cover. I have also checked timing and it's dead on. There is zero oil in my exhaust housing as well, so I don't think the smoke is coming from that. Any other ideas on what you think it might be? I'm stumped at this point.

MellowVR4

throw some oil into the cylinders and redo the test.

prove_it

Aw that sucky. Looks like it's time for a forged bottom end....Don't worry I will work for turbos... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14of2000

Quoting MellowVR4:
throw some oil into the cylinders and redo the test.

I did that and added a good amount, it didn't raise it. Then for the hell of it I put more in and it bumped it up 20 psi. Haha Ryan, I knew you were gonna say something like that! That might be my only option right now, IF it's the bottom end.

prove_it

}:d 9.5:1 compression and e85..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Last edited:

diambo4life

Yup...the variance alone is enough to do a minor rebuild. Depending on your power goals you could do a simple re-ring with new rings and a top gasket set or build something more serious. Be cautious. It's easy to get carried away and overbuild while spending tons of money.

gaylantvr4

i would perform a leak down test to check the valves. I would put money on the valves not sealing

prove_it

Sweet, head job! I love head jobs...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned