The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Another reason to use oem parts

dmj

I purchased a turbo install kit including new oem bolts from a very reputable vendor and one of their salesmen recommended the stainless steel exhaust manifold to turbo gasket. Needless to say less than 700 miles later I get a severe leak. Upon removing the manifold and turbo I have 2 broken bolts. the cause is the supposedly indestructable gasket had elongated into an oval shape and put tension on the bolts. I had torqued the bolts to factory specs. Any one else had this problem?

turbowop

That gasket probably failed due to loose bolts. Did you use anti-seize when you torqued down the stock bolts? Did you use the cone washers that keep them from backing out and if you did were they installed properly?

Wizardawd

And you should always retighten any exhaust bolts every few heat cycles. Ask anyone that has put headers on a sbc.

Wiz

dmj

New bolts and washers with antiseize. I retorqued only once though after running the car about 20 mins..I have always used oem gaskets using the same procedure and never had one fail.Oem for life /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

JNR

You have both surfaces flat and true?

I have a SS thick gasket that I am contemplating on using (vs. copper), but did make sure my surfaces are flat and such, so hope I don't have any issues (as in no fun).

I personally prefer SCE exhaust gaskets (copper), but use oem for everything else. FFWD SCE spec exhaust gaskets all the way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned