The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Alternator Pulley Direction

cheekychimp

Does it matter which way you spin it?

It probably isn't feasible or worth it but after removing the ABS there is a nice fat piece of real estate on that side of the engine bay. I'm really seriously wondering if it would be worth the time and effort to fabricate a custom mount there to locate the alternator away from the downpipe. It's likely a self defeating exercise in that once relocated I am sure Sod's Law would dictate that the alternator live forever negating the advantages of having it mounted in a position that is easy to access. Even so the thought of being able to swap it out without removing the stock MAS, plumbing and radiator/fans is kind of exciting.

mooserage

Staff member
HAHAHA /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif, the everlasting AND easy to replace alternator, you speak of a Unicorn!

Seriously though, as I understand it the alternator doesn't care which way it spins and will still charge. Hopefully someone can confirm though.

This sounds like a great idea if you have eliminated power steering.

rdomeck

I'm pretty sure that spinning them backwards doesn't work. If you wanted to look at another option....Hondas spin backwards and you could adapt one of those! Just a thought.

Specter

^^As he said. You could find any alternator which spins backwards and make it work. So...DO IT DO IT DO IT /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

jepherz

Staff member
Shouldn't matter, it's just simple electrical fields. I believe when you take an alternator to an AutoZone like store that has a bench tester, they all have to hook up and spin the same way, so that's proof right there if that's the case. I'm not sure how you'd make the necessary brackets to keep the alternator with the engine when the alternator is 8" hanging off of it though. If you ask me, that's not really fixing the problem you have either.

Last edited:

cheekychimp

No it won't fix my current issue, I want to address/solve that first but once it is done I do want to relocate away from the downpipe. I can't relocate to the rear of the block as I need A/C and this looks like the most feasible option. It would require extending the pulley shaft and supporting the end of that shaft in a bearing of some sort. My biggest issue with this right now is figuring out some sort of a tensioner.

grocery_getter

You would have to still mount the alternator to the engine so it can move together with it. Also consider the internal fan. I forgot if our alternator uses internal fan or not, some out there does. If it does, spinning a fan blade backward is wrong and will probably have a bad thermal consequences. Can't you just build a heatshield?

cheekychimp

Mmmm ... hadn't considered the movement issue, that limits things somewhat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Yes I have considered heatshields, in fact someone is building them now and they are going to be ceramic coated. I was just hoping to treat the cause rather than the symptoms by moving the alternator away from that heat source.

Maybe it would be easier to move the downpipe?

SouthCaliVR4

Lots of hot rodders & I think nascar run em off the drive-shaft. You can honestly run one any where you can get a belt to it & gain some spin. How about a dummy pulley & a small jack-shaft with ujoints & a slip to take up movement.

cheekychimp

Yeah on second thoughts, maybe not LOL. I don't think there is enough clearance to have it connected to the block in that area once you take movement into account. Maybe you could use solid motor mounts and mount the alternator to the chassis /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Didn't someone build an alternator heatshield out of a stainless cooking pot? I seem to remember it looked okay. The whole thing just mounted around the alternator and the guy that built it had one OEM bolt mounting it and another was close enough to allow it to have really good fitment with a tab welded on. I might investigate that further.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned