The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Alternator Info Needed

solidviper89

Just pb blaster everything that needs to be removed and when you try to get them out this weekend they WILL come out!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PB BLASTER not WD40... let it soak in and you wont regret it.

raptorWagon

I loosened the side motor mount, as to move that stupid bar up and out of the way some, then was abletocarefully push up and out. Then again, I don't have power steering, so the PS lines or reservoir aren't in my way.

mikus

on a side note - you may want to drill an access hole in your wheel well cover, so you can pull the alternator pin out without pulling the cover off again later

Yeah, I think I'll take care of that this weekend when I get to working on it. Really kind of a bitch being on my back on a garage floor trying to do that. All right, I'll ask my dad to PB blast everything tonight, and I'll take just try to dismantle it myself when I get back.

Last edited by a moderator:

raptorWagon

Just keep trying, mine took a while before it finally started budging. I'll be putting mine back in this coming weekend as well.

prove_it

I did it the way that everyone is telling you to do it. Gotta be careful though, its easy to bang up the radiator out of frustration. I've got a couple of marks on mine. Just another reason why I want a half size radiator.

All right. And yeah, I will be putting a piece of cardboard over the radiator fins when I attempt this this weekend. Hopefully I don't break anything lol.

Man my alternator went bad right in front of my girlfriends house on her development road. So I had to fix it there which wasn't too hard. When I did mine (just last week a day before the turbo went /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ) I learned the hard way to disconnect the battery first!!

1. Disconnet ground wire to battery.
2. Take off the I/C pipe above the alternator
3. Undue 3 bolts on the PS pump, pull off of bracket and place it out of the way.
4. Pull off wire harness clip form the alternator and the wire attached by a nut.
5. Undid the tensoner bolt and pulled out the long pin bolt (didn't have a nut on it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif )
6. Push the PS and alternator belts off to the side.
7. Than pull the alternator out from the top (just spin it around and play with it until it comes out)

The install is just backwards from the removal!! The only tools I needed was a rachet and 3 sockets.Just be careful of the radiator, I did my swap in about 30 mins... including replacing the light bulbs, don't ask why /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

All right, I have the alternator in, but some other issues have arisen. I started this project a couple months ago, but then didn't come home for that long in the middle of this, and I can't remember where the wiring goes. There is a connection which plugs into the alternator itself, and the wire off the capacitor that sits on that one bolt sticking out of the alternator. I believe there is also a connection that plugs into a nipple close to the power steering pump? There is one other connection I'm unsure of. If my digital camera was working right now I'd just take pics, but, yeah. It's not...Thanks in advance for the help.

The wire I am unsure of is a white one that splits from the rest, beneath the alternator.

Edit: Still not sure what that wire is for or goes to, but I put everything else back together. I have a new NSA alternator and a new yellowtop battery. The car will start and idle, but it STILL looks like the alternator is not charging the battery. Using a voltmeter, the battery charge was slowly dropping from 14.2v to 13.3 over the span of about 4-5 minutes during idle.

I re-adjusted the belts several times and started the car after each time, and the battery continued to slowly drop. I can't think of anything else except that white wire, and I have no idea where it goes or what it does. I called the local Mitsubishi dealership, talked to the service guys, and they had no idea either. HELP! I haven't driven this car since I bought it 6 months ago, and I'm desparate.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned