The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Airflow issues

Barnes

It's possible the o-ring on the back side of your compressor housing is bad and you are leaking there. I like to use a long clean rubber hose to listen for air leaks. Really helps narrow down where the air is leaking. Stick one end next to your ear, and move the other end around potential leak areas and you should find the leaks. After you fix any leaks you find, do another leak test to ensure you fix worked, and other leaks don't pop up elsewhere.

Well here is the thing no matter how much air I put in the pipes it all escaped immediately somewhere. I had no time to listen for it. I could put 25lbs of air in and try to let some air out at the tire air valve where it went in and nothing comes out. The only place I heard it was at the turbo.

Barnes

You need to have the boost leak tester hooked up to the air compressor the entire time. Run your air compressor until it is full pressure. Turn the regulator down to zero. Hook the air line up to the boost leak tester. The tester should be directly attached to the turbo's compressor housing inlet. Turn the regulator up on your air compressor until the outlet pressure is something like 20psi. You don't need anything crazy, again, since you are shooting for a stock car. You don't need to hold 35psi, so you don't need 35psi of pressure in the pipes. You should hear air leaking out. Since the compressor has a tank with 125psi or so, you should have plenty of air to diagnose the leak. Even better, leave the compressor plugged in if need be. Now go and see if you can figure out where the leaks are coming from.

barnes. that hose idea is GENIOUS. im gonna steal that idea next time im doing a leak test.

Barnes

I wish I could take credit. I think my Dad taught me that one. He did that to find intake leaks on his aircooled VW's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

haha my father in law has a 67 aircolled beetle. thing is PRESTINE! it has a 4 speed standard gearbox... and a little 12 volt electric heater under the center of the dash. so old.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned